Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: onlide \"dating:\" interesting article

lol, no. Not that there wasn't some drama involved.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Well I gotta say that is some of the strangest [censored] I've ever read.

That being said, the situation it is hardly what I would consider routine "online dating". These people (or more accurately, one real person, one fake identity) formed an entire romantic relationship without even meeting in person; that's just f'n weird. I "met" my girlfriend online, but we simply exchanged a few emails to feel each other out, then met at a bar in person and hit it off in a big way. She's gorgeous, smart, and outgoing; our personalities complement each other perfectly, and we keep each other in check. The result would have been no different between us if the bar meeting came before the emails.

But anyway, I suppose I can see how something like article this could concevably happen, but I would say something has to be way off with BOTH parties.

Weird.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 AM

Interesting article. Reminded me of one I read in Wired a few months ago, it however ended in death for most of the parties involved.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM

You may be underestimating how often people talk of "loving" each other, with utter seriousness and in a romantic way, over the internet without having met.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You may be underestimating how often people talk of "loving" each other, with utter seriousness and in a romantic way, over the internet without having met.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps, but that is still not what i would normally consider "online dating" based on the parlance of our times - more of an actual online relationship i guess, which is more than a bit freaky. christ, i hope this is not what people think of when i tell them i met my girlfriend online!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 PM

I feel as if I'm totally crazy for thinking that people who "love" each other despite having an "online relationship" for only a month are nuts. Am I?

This article is incredibly strange. The characters involved are definitely unlike anything I am familiar with. If I have friends who would fall victim to this sort of thing, I'm not aware of it.

I am going to potentially give you all too much credit and say that I think it would be hard for the majority of Lounge posters to fall victim to something like this, like Audrey did. I suppose my main reasons for believing that is that most of you seem quite capable of critical thinking and I don't see most of you as so lonely that you're "primed and ready for victimhood." Based on this assumption alone, I think it gives an interesting forum for this article. Imagine posting this to a forum of people who are incredibly lonely and emotionally unbalanced, or depressed. I would imagine the responses would be quite telling.

Anyway, I really liked how the article was written. That last paragraph is really good and there are a few others that I found to be laugh out loud moments. Shrug.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 PM

By the way, this could be adapted into a pretty engaging movie, couldn't it?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't really know who people are online or what they are up to, but they have every ability and incentive to make themselves whoever they think you'd like them to be. Identity is almost completely fluid. So are values, and even existence. That is, the person you think you know may not only not even exist, but may vanish instantly never to return. Perhaps volitionally; perhaps just because he got hit by a bus. Who knows? You never will. For me, it doesn't make for a strong incentive to let one's guard down. More toward live and let live, and if you want to say you are this or that, fine. I not only don't judge, except when you're being an arsehole, but don't even particularly care or place much weight in it. For all you know, your best friend on a board could be a terrible person in real life. Because, of course, though you may try to convince yourself of the contrary, you know nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg is wise. I have to say that I pretty much agree with this. Still I like all of you out there in internetland. Especially if you make me laugh.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps, but that is still not what i would normally consider "online dating" based on the parlance of our times - more of an actual online relationship i guess, which is more than a bit freaky. christ, i hope this is not what people think of when i tell them i met my girlfriend online!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for everyone, but for me the area is undefined enough that it could mean anything. For instance, I've met some people who've met and gotten married because they both played the online MMORPG Everquest together. That's not online dating per se, but it is meeting your girlfriend online.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 PM

good to know; i'm going to start being more specific.