Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 AM

Default PLO $200 Fullring Riverline

MP: hero ($222) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
CO: villian ($215) new to the table, no reads.

preflop: 6 players limp

flop ($12): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
checked to hero who bets pots and it is heads up with villian.

turn ($34): 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
hero pots, villian calls

river ($100): 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

hero ???

i don't really like this card. with villian calling down i don't think he has the nfd or a set. maybe a low flushdraw, maybe some kind of wheel draw, maybe some combo. what's my best play here?
bet and fold to a re-raise?
check to make him bluff his missed draw and call?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: PLO $200 Fullring Riverline

You really think he play this with a xx64cc hand ?

if he's aggro I would CRAI
if he's passive I 3/4 Pot the river
Old 09-14-2007, 07:58 AM

i really had trouble to put him on any hand here...

crai is certainly a valid option if i'd knew how aggressiv he is at the river, but against unknown i tend to be pretty nitty. but yeah, maybe i just see monsters under the bed.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:06 AM

If he's aggro enough to bet the river when checked to after showing no strength on the previous streets he's unlikely to have a hand he can call your checkraise with unless he's got you beat, so a CRAI is totally pointless. Against a truly passive player I might bet less than 3/4 pot.

If you check, always calling and always folding are both highly exploitable, so you need call often enough that he's not running you out of pots or taking you to valuetown either. I'm tired and not really into the math of game theory so someone else will have to tell you what the optimal % to call is. Generally I'm probably calling here about 50% of the time.

A blocking bet doesn't really apply in this sort of situation. You don't want to block into your opponents when it's clear they were drawing because you will rarely get called. The only time you make money on this sort of river when your opponent hasn't improved on the river is when he had something like Q7 with clubs or if he's a massive call station. Typically the best time to block is when you've got a somewhat hidden hand and your opponent is likely to have either a strong second best hand or has beaten you. This is not the case here.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's aggro enough to bet the river when checked to after showing no strength on the previous streets he's unlikely to have a hand he can call your checkraise with unless he's got you beat, so a CRAI is totally pointless. Against a truly passive player I might bet less than 3/4 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know so many aggro Players who will bet full pot on river if checked to with so many hands 2pair, sets, missed fd, missed sd - and if they have a 2pair+ hand the will call almost every amount if raised. I can't see a xx64 hand here playing this. If so I go broke.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:37 AM

A blocking bet is fine here. It's for value should villain think we've missed, and if villain is frisky it'll juice up the pot for him so he has something substantial to go after by bluffraising. Of course, bet-calling will occasionally land you in trouble when villain has in fact got the goods (more likely to be A4), but against the right villain it's the most profitable line. Rempel is right in that, after checking, always calling and always folding are highly exploitable, but IMO it's even more exploitable to always check this river in the first place. I really don't like c/r AI.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:53 AM

thanks for the input all. i'll mix up my play in these spots. though i don't really know about check/fold because i think my hand has too much showdown-value here.

i checked, villian bet $66 and i called

he showed 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and took the pot with the nutstraight
Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 PM

i would check call also

for induce bluff, mainly