Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 01:02 PM
 is offline

Default What Hand Plays That Way? Dunno, so I...?

$20 20K G'teed on Stars. The table hasn't been impressive thus far, no surprises. No real read on Villain in the hand, but my image is probably an aggro moneky as usual, as I doubled up a guy who was weak-leading on a ATxxQ board with AK when I had 99 and made a big bluff.

I'm dealt KsQc on the Button.

EMP limps, LP raises to 150, I call on Button, SB and BB call, limper calls.

FLOP: 4s 5c Qs

Checked to me and I bet 350 into a 750 pot (thoughts on this weak bet?)

SB calls, BB folds, EP calls, LP folds.

TURN: Tc

SB checks, EP insta-shoves for 2230 into an 1800 pot

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: What Hand Plays That Way? Dunno, so I...?

I think most of his range is pair+FD and combo draw. Don't have stove here but I think you are doing pretty decent against that range since you are most likely killing outs to anything he is drawing to. There may be some weaker Queens, Q9/QT/QJ, but QT is now ahead. Seems like you are only behind QT right now. I like leading for 450 or 500 more but I call turn either way.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:15 PM

Well, I suck, so take this with the appropriate amount of salt, but...

I always play ABC poker, so I don't like 350 at all on the flop, especially with flush draw and straight on the board and two opponents. I make it 500 at least here.

As for what hand plays that way... I dunno. Maybe a set of tens that is paranoid about two flush draws on the board? It's a pretty narrow explanation, I admit, but it explains the limp/call pre-flop, the call on the turn, and the shove on the turn.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:19 PM
 is offline

TT is never limp/calling PF, not to mention never open shoving the turn.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 PM

Why is TT never limp/calling PF from EP? I limp TT from EP ~2/3 of the time, because I'm happier to play it for set value with so many players left to act; with a raise and a bunch of callers, I'm again getting good odds to pursue a set (or play a ragged low flop), so I call.

If this is horrible, I'm happy to change my ways.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:43 PM

As a friend of mine said:
When they call flop and open shove river its in 90% of the cases a FD that improved in some way.

If he really thinks you are a laggro than he never shoves his monsters here but rather slowplays them.
I call and feel good about it.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:33 PM
 is offline

TT is too good a hand to be limp/calling with and playing only for set value. We only hit like 1/8 times or something and we're DEFINITELY not stacking the guy everytime we do hit. I'm sure it's not -EV or anything to limp and play it for set value, but I think it's a ton more +EV to raise and build a pot so that at worst, you lose a c-bet when you're outflopped and you'll find it's a lot easier to stack your opponent in a raised pot than a limped one.

edit: It's the same reason I'm raising with 99 and usually 88 also. 77 and below and I'll start to entertain a limp because at that point, our hand will be tough to play when called and we have to play a flop OOP.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:38 PM

Thanks! The point about it being difficult to stack someone with a set of tens is well-taken, as I am always wary of straights when I see tens and jacks on the board.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:42 PM
 is offline

Well, I didn't mean it'd be difficult to stack them from YOUR perspective. I meant that it will be tough to bloat the pot enough after it got limped PF to justify the guy getting all his chips in there without you first revealing the uber-strength of your hand. In a raised pot with online structures, it usually only takes a bet and a raise on the flop for a guy to be committed to going to the felt.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Given my steller hand reading ability to put someone on something I beat, I put him on K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and turbo call.

edit: were you hoping to get repopped with your weak bet? Given that its a $20 and draws are calling 3/4 pot the same amount as 1/2 I declare you a pussy.

BTW, stacks?