Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Default NLCASH dealing with massive all-in overbets

I played a guy HUCASH last night at $1/$2 who was making fairly frequent all-in overbets, both pre and post flop.

He wasn't doing it frequently enough that I had the sense he was doing it with complete garbage, but he was doing it frequently enough that's it's very hard to put him on the nuts every time he did.

Of course, as I'm sure you can guess, the two times I did call, he did actually have the nuts. The only possible straight on one board (I had top two pair), and the nut flush on another (I had top and bottom pair).

How in the world do you deal with somebody like this? He was doing it frequently enough that I thought 2 pair was probably good enough, but obviously it wasn't. When somebody is making frequent huge overbets like this ($95 bets into $4 pots), do you just have to fold every time?

He's doing it often enough that he's either catching like MAD, or he has to be doing it at least sometimes with weaker hands, but he's not buying *tons* of pots with the huge overbets, and seems to be fairly easy to take pots away from most of the time, so I probably should have just either left and found somebody sane, or tried to whittle away the pots that he didn't show a lot of interest in.

What about preflop? How good does your hand have to be to call an all-in 100BBs deep? I didn't really get many strong starting hands when he was overbetting preflop, but I did fold a couple low pairs (4s and 5s), and an AQ. Correct folds? Should I have called with the AQ? Again, he's doing it frequently enough to be annoying, but not so frequently that I can't figure him for a big ace or a pair every time.

Unfortunately, losing $200 in 2 hands is quite a deficit to make up, and he left long before I made back more than $25 of that $200. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: NLCASH dealing with massive all-in overbets

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, as I'm sure you can guess, the two times I did call, he did actually have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he was running good and overbets with strong hands?

[ QUOTE ]
I did fold a couple low pairs (4s and 5s), and an AQ

[/ QUOTE ]
If its getting frequent the AQ is a clear call. 4s and 5s are not good for 100bbs.

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, losing $200 in 2 hands is quite a deficit to make up, and he left long before I made back more than $25 of that $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its all one big long game baby.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he was running good and overbets with strong hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, I was thinking that for a while, and then the frequency just made it less and less likely, so I called a couple.

But after losing them both, I have to think maybe that was the way it was. He was running *REALLY* good though, if that's the case.

:/
Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 PM

Can I ask what site ?