Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 PM
 is offline

Default $250 Live Tourney Spot

This is a friend's hand that I thought had a few interesting decision points in it.

$250 50K Guaranteed at the Borgata. 30 minute levels, 6K starting stacks, and a structure that would probably start becoming a little suffocating after another 3 levels or so.

Blinds 300/600/a75. My friend has worked his stack up to 18K with some well-timed bluffs and some value bets... he's top 3 in chips at the table.

Folded around to the Hijack, the chipleader at the table with ~24K, who raises to 2500. My friend had seen this guy open twice: once he took it down with a flop c-bet and once he showed down AK and won.

My friend has T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the CO.

I actually thought this first decision was far from a no-brainer. Folding is obviosuly not an option, but I thougtht with these stacks and the description of the opponent, I thought it was close between raising and calling. What do you guys think is best?

He ends up calling.

Flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The guy thinks for a couple of seconds and checks...

I had trouble telling him what I thought was the best move here. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: $250 Live Tourney Spot

i think calling pf is fine given the CL's tight image. bet 3k/go broke on the flop
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 PM

I don't think AQ or KQ, even AJ or AT will fold to a single bet. I bet 3.5-4k.
I call a jam. I think preflop is fine, if the Hijack was more aggressive, or we had less chips, I would jam.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
I call a jam. I think preflop is fine, if the Hijack was more aggressive, or we had less chips, I would jam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think jamming has a better chance to get 77-99 to call and/or get AQ/KQ to fold? Does he ever fold a hand like 55 or A9s to a jam, but shove them occasionally if we raise to ~7500 and leave him some room for perceived FE?

edit: All these questions going with your comment if he was a more aggro player rather than our actual read.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 PM

I don't think a shove gains more against a chip leader playing what appears to be Tight/maybe even ok. He is not going to want to jeopardize his stacks by mixing it up OOP with one of the other big stacks with less then TT here.

That said, he very well may peel a card with a variety of hands that he perceives to be best if improved, ie. AQ,KQ,KJ,hearts,etc... So betting gains the value of a large range of holdings still.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:24 AM

I bet at least 4k on this flop
and I usually just stick it in PF
Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Blinds 300/600/a75.

Folded around to the Hijack, the chipleader at the table with ~24K, who raises to 2500.

My friend has T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the CO.

He ends up calling.

Flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The guy thinks for a couple of seconds and checks...

[/ QUOTE ]

I call preflop and bet 3/4 pot on the flop. I pay off AK and bigger set but will have flush draw/straight draw pay me in this $250 buy-in tournament.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:41 AM

I like pf and I bet/call the flop like 4k.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think jamming has a better chance to get 77-99 to call and/or get AQ/KQ to fold? Does he ever fold a hand like 55 or A9s to a jam, but shove them occasionally if we raise to ~7500 and leave him some room for perceived FE?

edit: All these questions going with your comment if he was a more aggro player rather than our actual read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more along the lines of folding out hands like QJ, KJ, KQ, etc. I would need to really read him as a lunatic to try to induce a 3-bet shove with a hand like TT. The more aggressive he is, the harder it is to put him on a hand post flop, which causes me to usually loose too many chips post flop. Plus, since he raises 4x preflop, we don't hate when he folds A9s, our EV when he calls isn't much bigger than the EV when he folds
Old 07-24-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think calling pf is fine given the CL's tight image. bet 3k/go broke on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I mean the alternative is to raise to like 9k or something, and that's half hero's stack. Not gonna do that with TT.

Gotta bet this flop, it's connected, two suited, and in general ugly. Also, unlikely villian will put hero on a set here.

edit: Oh yeah, and I think a shove PF is way excessive. I don't think anything we beat calls us, except AK, maybe maybe AQ. Just not worth it at this juncture.

Also, shouldn't this be in the normal forum? High stakes=500+ buy in?