Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 07-15-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: How do you handle this one? (Bad conduct and worse conduct)

I'm not weighing in on any specific situation, but I think there are plenty of times where it's wholly appropriate to say something when you're not in the hand. That's the best time to say something a lot of times, as often times, if you're involved in the pot, you'll reveal something about your hand by speaking up.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not weighing in on any specific situation, but I think there are plenty of times where it's wholly appropriate to say something when you're not in the hand. That's the best time to say something a lot of times, as often times, if you're involved in the pot, you'll reveal something about your hand by speaking up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if sticking up for a meek regular against the table douchebag. I don't see anything wrong with OP's actions.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 PM

Demanding the floor come over to deal with something going on between other players is a bit much. If I think some newbie is being bullied by someone or is too new to understand what's afoot, I MIGHT during a hand say "if you don't like this, just ask for the floor". But when the players are big boys who already know the floor exists and what his role is, there's no reason at all for me to say something. And I'm never calling for the floor myself unless there's something egregiously bad happening (can't really imagine what that might be, offhand, but I'm sure there's something).

But there's also the issue that this is still mid-hand. If a player still involved gets upset over AJ showing his hand he's giving away information. Exactly this happened to me once, and I was stuck having to sit quietly swallowing some considerable annoyance after a guy showed the 2nd nuts while I held the real nuts while I waited for the hand to play out. So you jumping in demanding the floor do something about this while the hand is still progressing is bad...you're almost insisting that any player still involved who's upset because he can actually beat AJ say so.

So this particular case is a STFU situation, I think. There's nothing the floor can do at that point, anyway, so FIRST let the hand end.

After it's over, feel free to tell AJ why what he did was a problem. If AJ gives you back attitude ("I'll show my cards anytime I please"), if you want to escalate it THEN call for the floor. Again, floor will do nothing but he can tell the guy to knock it off so if it happens again maybe AJ will be sent home.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:44 PM

bav - I agree.
If I'm holding AA or have quads I don't want some other player at the table pointing out to him that it might not actually be a 3-way split.

Calling the floor over at that point is pretty much the same as telling the guy, "Unless somebody has AA or quads!!"

So essentially this becomes the same as me with a full-house getting in a raising-war with somebody with just a flush and then somebody not in the hand saying, "Wow, that guy must have a full-house."
Old 07-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: kick \'em all in the nuts first and sort \'em out later

[ QUOTE ]
I would also not open my mouth here unless I was in the pot. I usually let mistakes by others, including dealers, slide unless they are severe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to reiterate what bav said. In this situation, you don't want to say anything during the hand, because you can only make things worse. However, after the hand is over is the perfect time for you (even though you weren't in the hand) to bring it up. Hopefully that will keep it from happening in the future, when it could be you in the hand that loses money because this guy shows his cards with others still left to act.

I was playing a hand once where a person NOT in the hand told a guy that was all-in pre-flop that he could turn his hand up (on the turn) since he was all in. That guy showing his QQ kept me from getting a lot more money out of my 76 with a 766Jx board against a 3rd player holding AJ. I somehow remained calm while letting the all-in guy & the not-in-the-hand guy know (after the hand) that it was not OK to show cards in a multi-way pot.