Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Home Game Introduces Rake- I have Concerns

[ QUOTE ]
If you really like it and don't care about the rake and just want the experience, keep playing. It's your money. You'll only be there for two more months.

[/ QUOTE ]This is kind of the attitude I'm taking. I just want to make sure I'm not putting myself in a bad spot, and it doesn't sound like I am. Just not an optimal spot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But an optimal spot isn't necessary if I'm only going to be around for just a few more weeks.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:51 PM

im about to drop like 600$ on a table/chips/cards/chairs to host a weekly game (1/2 NL) and was considering taking a 1$ drop from all hands that see a flop to offset expenses.

there is no official dealer, and i would be providing soft drinks and snacks, byob.

is this an acceptable scenario, or would people be correct in bitching about it/avoiding the game?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im about to drop like 600$ on a table/chips/cards/chairs to host a weekly game (1/2 NL) and was considering taking a 1$ drop from all hands that see a flop to offset expenses.

there is no official dealer, and i would be providing soft drinks and snacks, byob.

is this an acceptable scenario, or would people be correct in bitching about it/avoiding the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something you should ask the people who play with you beforehand. Spending $600 and then saying, "I want you guys to pay me back," is more likely to cause a problem.

Instead ask them before you buy, "Hey, I'm thinking about buying $600 worth of stuff to host the game with, anyone mind if we take $1 from each pot over $x until we get to $600?"
Old 07-13-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something you should ask the people who play with you beforehand. Spending $600 and then saying, "I want you guys to pay me back," is more likely to cause a problem.

Instead ask them before you buy, "Hey, I'm thinking about buying $600 worth of stuff to host the game with, anyone mind if we take $1 from each pot over $x until we get to $600?"

[/ QUOTE ]

solid advice, thanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 PM

Here's my philosophy on the matter.

[censored] home gamers raking. Why?

1) All they have is low-quality poker chips they bought off Ebay for $50. Poker chips are a dime a dozen.

2) You could get in contact with all of the players at the game via myspace and start your own homegame. The money you made off them in 1 night would more than offset the cost of the chips.

3) [censored] 10% rake. That's absolutely ridiculous. ESPECIALLY given the stakes you're playing. Reasonable rake would be 5%, max .50 or $1. They would need to provide some service in exchange for the rake, like booze, food, and good dealing, plus providing an entertaining environment.

Here's a little psychology about getting your own "rake going. If you want to influence people to "pay for all the stuff I bought so they could play", I would politely ask that people tip you (the dealer) when they win big pots if they so choose. You'll notice the players themselves enforcing tipping by glaring at the people who don't tip. That way, you're not bullying people into paying, you're creating a social norm that it's "polite" to tip the guy who set up such a nice game for them.

-Mano
Old 07-14-2007, 12:42 AM

1.Legality - Since it's illegal to play ANY poker at all,.....

Brew,

I do not believe this is correct. It is definitely legal in the vast majority of states to play in a "friendly" game of poker. Basically, you are safe if their is no rake taken.

I have had two police officers in my local game, and they confirm this as well. (Colorado)

Debater
Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is definitely legal in the vast majority of states to play in a "friendly" game of poker. Basically, you are safe if their is no rake taken.

[/ QUOTE ]This is not the case in GA, however, which is where this game is taking place. Home games are illegal, rake or no rake.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am mostly an online player, or have been anyway. I have a micro stakes home game for friends, but it's for stakes that I don't care about. Recently I got invited to a .50/1 game, which, while probably super low for many, is a comfortable limit for me. The players are nice, it's a blast to play in, it's soft enough for me to beat, and playing in it has been the highlight of my week. Unfortunately, they are now going to introduce a rake (10% up to $3 max).

So here are my questions:

a) How bad is this rake? Is it high, or typical? They claim that most of the raked games around are 10% with a higher maximum for the same limit.

b) What level of risk do I assume playing in a raked game at micro stakes? In GA, even non-raked games are illegal so this is clearly over the line; however, at these stakes in a college town where there is plenty of worse stuff going down is there any reason for concern? I'm not the type to get out of line legally so this makes me a little uncomfortable, however I enjoy playing poker a lot and feel like a game of this type is probably waaay off the radar as far as getting me in trouble. If it matters, it seems there are also people who smoke pot in the game, though they do it out back, not actually in the game. Like I said, college town so not unusual.

c) Should the organization of the game be an issue for me? These guys don't seem very organized- they have different values for the colors each week, for example. This didn't really bother me so much before and I'm sure they are just figuring out stuff since it's a new game, but part of me find such irregularities a little uncomfortable if they are going to start charging to play. However, they DO seem to be providing a soft game that that I can beat, so I don't know that I should complain. I just don't know that I have full confidence in them should a dispute arise that they would be able to correctly and gracefully resolve it.

Anyway, I really enjoy playing live and have enjoyed this game, but I'm not sure it's for me. I'll be leaving the area in a couple months anyway (after which I hope to start my own, non-raked game), but I feel the experience of playing live is beneficial to a player like me who has only ever played online. Plus, it's just a lot of fun. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess I just want to know if this is the kind of game that could get me in trouble, or if this is just a standard/ fairly safe home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dump these losers...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 AM

The guy who runs my home game runs it very well. He has a beautiful table. Very nice room. Extremely nice cards and chips. He keeps it running smoothly, too. Self deal.

He has a "donations" jar to help pay for things. When I win, I just leave my extra few bucks -- anything that isn't easy to make change for. He never asks, I just do it. I think most players do. I never feel pressured to leave money, and I don't leave anything when I lose. This seems to work pretty well for everyone.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way would I want to pay for your stuff. Maybe you'd like them to help cover a little of the mortgage and utilty expenses too..... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'd pay a small fee to play that covers food / drink, even a little extra tip when I win, but thats about it.

My home cash games are small, 9 or less, I provide decent food and all drinks and take only voluntary contributions. However my tournaments are big, 24-30 players. Again I provide all food and drink and I do charge a fee for this. Cost can run from $150-$200 and thats just too much for me to absorb every 6 weeks.

I made 3 poker tables, have 10 2-deck sets of Kems and Copags, 1600 custom designed poker chips, 24 folding chairs (need to borrow some when the tourney fills) tournament progam on laptop with AV projector and I would never think of making everyone pay for all that. And it was a lot more than what your thinking of spending. However, I travel with two of my tables to a game and the padded rail has suffered damage. I have taken money from the participants of this game to help offset some of the cost of replacing the rail. But I did this with their permission.