Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 05-02-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Front vs. Back Squats, injury prevention, etc

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1276773

I just found this article on t-nation that discusses a few exercise choices that will reduce weight-room injuries. In it, he specifically mentions that front squats are harder to do with poor form, and will cause fewer back injuries due to the more upright posture. Thoughts?

I've only done them a few times, but it was much easier to have an upright posture and "sit back" than with back squats.

It also recommends ditching conventional deadlifts, but I think for non-powerlifters there might be less of a concern. Powerlifters will do the lift in competition with a rounded back trying to make a record pull, whereas people just trying to get stronger and not compete don't have any pressure to use a round-back form.

I'm also looking for advice. I seem to be getting hurt frequently in the weight-room. When I started the Rippetoe program, I basically went straight into the heavy weight, 3x5 program. I went from sedentary to heavy work instantly. Should I have taken a few weeks with lighter weight and more reps to get my body more adjusted? I'm also looking to drop weight, so perhaps I should do some circuit type thing?

I also have a flexibility imbalance in my shoulders, the left being less flexible. I can scratch my mid-upper back pretty good with my right, but I can barely get my left hand to face my back. I'd like to get this taken care of before I start back up again on my program.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Front vs. Back Squats, injury prevention, etc

[ QUOTE ]

I'm also looking for advice. I seem to be getting hurt frequently in the weight-room. When I started the Rippetoe program, I basically went straight into the heavy weight, 3x5 program. I went from sedentary to heavy work instantly. Should I have taken a few weeks with lighter weight and more reps to get my body more adjusted?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you already know the answer to this... yes. You should have made a slower transition. I suggest you get yourself healed up before diving back in to the program. Sometimes it's necessary to work through an injury or two, but I'm guessing you don't have a a big game coming up that requires this. Once you do get healed up, go back to work gradually ramping up the intensity over a month.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also looking to drop weight, so perhaps I should do some circuit type thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure your program is aligned with your goals. A 3X5 program may not be the best for weight lose. We've had the argument before about building muscle and bulking up/losing weight at the same time and it always gets ugly.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:08 PM

I think I'll give the front squats a go and possibly go ahead with my idea of ditching the deadlifts.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:09 PM

I completely agree on the front squat issue. It is much easier to teach a proper front squat than a proper back squat in my experience. I see no reason not to back squat though.

[ QUOTE ]
It also recommends ditching conventional deadlifts, but I think for non-powerlifters there might be less of a concern. Powerlifters will do the lift in competition with a rounded back trying to make a record pull, whereas people just trying to get stronger and not compete don't have any pressure to use a round-back form.

[/ QUOTE ]

At a powerlifting meet the whole goal is to get the bar up....anyway possible. His reasoning for ditching conventional deadlifts just because they can be done with terrible form isn't that great really. Watch a strongman competition...watch their form as they get tired, it gets crappy and more "injury prone" perhaps, but that is because they are doing what it takes. If you can always have your form checks down on a deadlift, it should never really be that much of an injury risk.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also looking for advice. I seem to be getting hurt frequently in the weight-room. When I started the Rippetoe program, I basically went straight into the heavy weight, 3x5 program. I went from sedentary to heavy work instantly. Should I have taken a few weeks with lighter weight and more reps to get my body more adjusted? I'm also looking to drop weight, so perhaps I should do some circuit type thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define "getting hurt." You mean something more than the general soreness or discomfort that comes from working out? If so how are you getting hurt, what type of pain, and what exercises are aggravating this pain?

Your body will adjust itself to the stress your putting it under. Once you have form down, the "injury risk" won't be different with lighter weight and more reps. A properly performed bench press 5 times and a properly performed bench press ten times shouldn't be more likely to injure you.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-183-training

This is a perfect article to help your shoulder question.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm also looking for advice. I seem to be getting hurt frequently in the weight-room. When I started the Rippetoe program, I basically went straight into the heavy weight, 3x5 program. I went from sedentary to heavy work instantly. Should I have taken a few weeks with lighter weight and more reps to get my body more adjusted?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you already know the answer to this... yes. You should have made a slower transition. I suggest you get yourself healed up before diving back in to the program. Sometimes it's necessary to work through an injury or two, but I'm guessing you don't have a a big game coming up that requires this. Once you do get healed up, go back to work gradually ramping up the intensity over a month.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also looking to drop weight, so perhaps I should do some circuit type thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure your program is aligned with your goals. A 3X5 program may not be the best for weight lose. We've had the argument before about building muscle and bulking up/losing weight at the same time and it always gets ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm fat yo! And I'm a beginning weightlifter, so can't I make STRENGTH gains and lose weight at the same time?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm fat yo! And I'm a beginning weightlifter, so can't I make STRENGTH gains and lose weight at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is possible then.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree on the front squat issue. It is much easier to teach a proper front squat than a proper back squat in my experience. I see no reason not to back squat though.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At a powerlifting meet the whole goal is to get the bar up....anyway possible. His reasoning for ditching conventional deadlifts just because they can be done with terrible form isn't that great really. Watch a strongman competition...watch their form as they get tired, it gets crappy and more "injury prone" perhaps, but that is because they are doing what it takes. If you can always have your form checks down on a deadlift, it should never really be that much of an injury risk.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define "getting hurt." You mean something more than the general soreness or discomfort that comes from working out? If so how are you getting hurt, what type of pain, and what exercises are aggravating this pain?

Your body will adjust itself to the stress your putting it under. Once you have form down, the "injury risk" won't be different with lighter weight and more reps. A properly performed bench press 5 times and a properly performed bench press ten times shouldn't be more likely to injure you.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....5-183-training

This is a perfect article to help your shoulder question.

[/ QUOTE ]
My "hurt" is not muscle soreness from working it. It is a bad hurt indicating injury.

For instance, my left shoulder has had some pain right on top (can feel the hurt by pressing on the area), which happened after I tried power cleans the first time. Instead of dropping the weight from the rack position, I caught it in the hang position (can't drop it, 24 hr fitness), and then lowered it to the ground. I think catching it in the hang position put stress on my shoulder. I feel like it could have handled it if I had started my program out much slower. Similar to running too far after a long layoff.

Also, my lower back has been kinda bugging me, but I believe that is from sitting so much lately.

I've had a shitton of work to do lately, and need to see a doctor about my knee anyways, so I will definitely take off a few weeks, and then slowly get back into it.

I am considering doing pullups, rows, and deadlifts when possible, to get some balance.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am considering doing pullups, rows, and deadlifts when possible, to get some balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pullups are an excellent idea.

Make sure you start with a light weight and proper form on the deadlifts. I cannot stress this enough. You'll read on the internets about how everyone claims to deadlift 700 lbs... don't let that sway you. Start with nothing more than the bar if you must. Doing too much too soon with bad form is a recipe for disaster on deadlifts.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pullups are an excellent idea.

Make sure you start with a light weight and proper form on the deadlifts. I cannot stress this enough. You'll read on the internets about how everyone claims to deadlift 700 lbs... don't let that sway you. Start with nothing more than the bar if you must. Doing too much too soon with bad form is a recipe for disaster on deadlifts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will have someone check it out anyways, but I think my form is pretty good.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 PM

Anyone here do lumberjack squats?

read about these on T-nation and they look interesting..especially if you finish with a press movement at the end.