Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Running - Knee Pain

tdarko,

nice post...my main problem is that op said he ran felt pain, ran felt pain, ran felt pain got strap, ran felt pain...didn't seem like he did any homework to find out what was up, other than going to google and finding out that it was runners knee...he didn't say that he iced it or whatever...so if he isn't gonna do the research (possibly just didn't write it out) then he should go see a doctor rather than just keep trying to run on it and feeling pain...

i get similar irritation from people that want fitness programs but take the time to check out actual weight lifting forums and get professional advice...
Old 04-18-2007, 01:57 PM

All the trainers and doctors I've ever spoken with and dealt with say that running injuries are the toughest types to diagnose and treat properly. The majority of problems people have are overuse related as oppposed to trauma type torn ligament football injuries. The best treatment for many running injuries is simply stretching, ice, massage and time off. (Bike instead or something.)

As far as the "runner's knee" diagnosis - tdarko is spot on. That should send up red flags right away. You could be having problems with tendonitis, IT bands, plica, or something else and it will just get called "runner's knee."
Old 04-18-2007, 02:14 PM

skunkworks,

lol, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

thirddan,

I see your point and it is very fair. I just wanted him to know the information that was available and you to know that running to the doctor is kind of like a Catch-22--like what StaticShock explains in his post about the difficulty in the diagnosis and the treatments being the same across the board.

FWIW, 3 months ago I had Achilles tendinitis b/c of my crappy foot strike when I run, I overpronate really badly. Even the stiffest motion control shoes are no match for my foot strike. I wear orthotics, the professional molded kind but the ones I had were shot and I needed new ones at the time. So my Achilles started to hurt and I immediately took a few days off instead of lowering the miles. When I started back up it kept hurting.

I knew that this problem was going to persist unless I took probably 4-6 weeks off from running--but even then eventually my foot strike combined with the amount of miles I was logging would trigger the injury up again eventually, so I went to my podiatrist and got fitted for new orthotics that were formed to fix my Achilles tendinitis problem (overpronation) and voila it was gone very quickly. That was a case where I knew how to fix it and didn't feel like CT'ing for 4-6 weeks, plus this was a mechanical injury that needed to be fixed.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:18 PM

tdarko,

Thanks for the great advice.

I've haven't run for a few weeks and plan to run tonight... I'll see how it goes.

The route I run isn't the best for reducing the stress from impact. I usually run up to and around campus which includes plenty of concrete and hills. I should stick to the track or indoor track, but running 12 laps around a track is really boring.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:12 PM

I have had knee issues for years and also play basketball 1-2 times/week and run some (wife is a marathoner) up to 7 or 8 miles. My issue (after seeing orthopedic last fall) was diagnosed arthritis. Pain followed by swelling forced me to the doctor.

I'm 37 years old and workout in some fashion 4-5 days/week. My non-clinical advice for knees:

1) ice after if swelling
2) stretching (number of types given to me by physical therapist--calf stretch, flexor stretch/strengthening, pretzel stretch)
3) strengthen muscles around the knee (lunges, front squats --not necessarily the heaviest weights but build up)

Knees are a bitch. Problems in other areas (leg alignment like me--I'm knock-kneed a bit / weak hip flexors /weak quads/hamstrings) can all end up in knee pain.

In the past 6 months since I've been stretching and lifting weights with better exercises I've seen great results. Exercises I've done:

Lunges or Walking lunges 3 sets x 10 reps x (2)35lb dumblls
Front squat in track machine (not sure if right term)
10 reps x 90 lbs
10 reps x 110 lbs
10 reps x 140 lbs (increasing these amounts)
Squat while standing on 2 half yoga balls with toes pointing out: 1 80-90 lbs dumbl, 3 sets x 12 reps

My quads are stronger and my knee doesn't hurt/swell as much playing hoops. No magic device for me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], just weights & stretching.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The route I run isn't the best for reducing the stress from impact. I usually run up to and around campus which includes plenty of concrete and hills. I should stick to the track or indoor track, but running 12 laps around a track is really boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll also add to run on trails if you have access due to following:

1) added benefit of strengthening support muscles/joints in ankles & legs / increased balance
2) running on grass/dirt is MUCH easier on the joints, reduces pounding from concrete
3) usually much more enjoyable view to run in natural surroundings
Old 04-18-2007, 04:59 PM

I was totally serious in my OP. I don't understand why people keep running when they have knee pain. Okay, if you just like love running then you can find a way to manage the damage, but it's just wrecking your body and you're going to suffer. I can't tell you how many people who are 40-50 and just have wrecked knees from running or basketball. There are so many other exercises you can do that won't wreck your body.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was totally serious in my OP. I don't understand why people keep running when they have knee pain. Okay, if you just like love running then you can find a way to manage the damage, but it's just wrecking your body and you're going to suffer. I can't tell you how many people who are 40-50 and just have wrecked knees from running or basketball. There are so many other exercises you can do that won't wreck your body.

[/ QUOTE ]

I discovered spinning as a cardio option to running last fall when my knee was hurting. It's great, joints don't hurt, good sweat, heartrate elevated. Thought I was in decent shape.

Until I tried to run this spring for first time...I might try actual biking too, but for me cardio benefits of running/basketball >>>> spinning