Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Full Squat Trouble

[ QUOTE ]
I keep my heels shoulder width, with my toes just a little past that (since my feet are angled 30 degrees out). You should be able to get into that prayer squat position from there if not one or two inches wider, depending on whether you have freakishly long forearms.

You own a copy of Starting Strength, don't you? If I still could not get into good position like this, I might think about squatting to just below parallel for one or two workouts while maintaining good form, then trying to drop it down a bit lower each time after that until you feel good. How much are your squat work sets and what are your stats?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the rippetoe, I was up to 175lbs for 3 sets of 5 before I figured out my problem at the bottom of my squat.

I'm trying to improve my flexibility. I'm pretty sure that's a major reason for my problem. I workout again on sunday and I'll report back to this thread.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I keep my heels shoulder width, with my toes just a little past that (since my feet are angled 30 degrees out). You should be able to get into that prayer squat position from there if not one or two inches wider, depending on whether you have freakishly long forearms.

You own a copy of Starting Strength, don't you? If I still could not get into good position like this, I might think about squatting to just below parallel for one or two workouts while maintaining good form, then trying to drop it down a bit lower each time after that until you feel good. How much are your squat work sets and what are your stats?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the rippetoe, I was up to 175lbs for 3 sets of 5 before I figured out my problem at the bottom of my squat.

I'm trying to improve my flexibility. I'm pretty sure that's a major reason for my problem. I workout again on sunday and I'll report back to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a pretty good workout today. I was able to do bodyweight squats without that back rounding issue, and I think it has something to do with my stance width. I narrowed it a bit, so that it's shoulder width. Also, when I go to the bottom position, I have to think of it as "getting my ass down between my legs" and opening up my hips as I do this. Sort of a "get down in the hole" movement. I worked the weight up slowly to 175, and did my work sets there today. 3 sets of 5.

I did some stretching the last couple of days which seemed to have helped.

My knee is feeling pretty good right now, minor weirdness, no pain.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:57 PM

Wear knee wraps, they increase hydrostatic tension within the knee.

But if I had these sort of pains/ailments in my knees I would consider not squatting. Trust me- your joints are worth far more than increased muscle tissue. I'd reccomend getting an MRI on that knee before moving forward in a program that included sqauts.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wear knee wraps, they increase hydrostatic tension within the knee.

But if I had these sort of pains/ailments in my knees I would consider not squatting. Trust me- your joints are worth far more than increased muscle tissue. I'd reccomend getting an MRI on that knee before moving forward in a program that included sqauts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no pain today, no weird knee feeling either. I believe the only time I had knee pain was after squatting with a wider stance. But I have had out of whack knee feeling with no pain several times last month. Not today though. I feel solid.

I will probably go see my old doctor or something. I know they took MRI's about ten years ago, perhaps I could give those to a new doctor and then have them test my joints.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 AM

I don't know. Aren't MRIs extremely expensive?

Also, all of the minor knee pain I've experienced after squatting was from mediocre-to-poor form on my part. If your stance was too wide, maybe your knees were creeping inward?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ting&hl=en

training seminar covering how to do squats etc...