Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 PM

Default Full Squat Trouble

Hey, I've been doing the rippetoe "starting strength" program for a bit over a month. I think I'm doing well with all the other exercises, but not the full squat.

I think an old knee injury is giving me some problems with my squat, as well as some inflexibility issues. In high school, I had a tear in my meniscus from a hockey injury, that I opted not to have surgery for (they wanted to remove it!). I was able to recover and play at full strength for several years after that, or perhaps I just compensated for it.

After my squat workouts, I feel like my right knee is a little weird. The muscle or whatever that runs down the back of the knee feels "bigger", like its pulled or something. Sometimes the day after a squat workout, both of my knees are sensitive to climbing up and down steps. Feels like the ligaments are sore on the outside of the knee every time I land on a step. It goes away the second day.

Also, when I'm squatting and get past parallel, my hips start to "come under" my body and that makes my back round, which is dangerous. I've been doing a static stretch for the hammies as described in "starting strength". Standing w/feet about shoulder width, bend over and put your fingers under your toes. Now try to straighten your back out and push your butt up. I'd like to do a full squat but I'm unable to do them correctly so far. I do parallel or just past parallel well, but not FULL squats.

Most symptoms go away after 1-2 days, but that means I really only ever feel fine 1 day a week, because I'm squatting 3 days a week.

I'd appreciate any advice. And yes I have scoured t-nation, and all sorts of sites looking for info.