Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Bottom Set vs. 4_2_It

This hand is only interesting to me because it was my first session ever at $1 and I knew I was up against 4_2_It. He doesn't know me. I was taking a shot because, well, I was running well. This is maybe 20 hands in. I haven't gotten out of line since I really have no idea about the dynamics of the game but I have continued to run well. Up until now I have avoided him. Fortunately he is on my immediate right.

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $18.50
UTG+1: $75.20
CO: $53.55
Button: $268.90
4_2_It: $226.85
Hero: $226.50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $1, Button folds, 4_2_It calls $0.5, Hero checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4, 4 players)
<font color="#cc3333">4_2_It bets $3</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, 2 folds, 4_2_It calls $7.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($24, 2 players)
4_2_It checks, <font color="#cc3333">Hero bets $20</font>, 4_2_It calls $20.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($64, 2 players)
4_2_It checks, Hero ????

Even though this is a blind battle, can I bet here? Is he not capable of coming over the top if I bet? Do I want that or not? I can't fold. Will he pay off a value bet?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Bottom Set vs. 4_2_It

[ QUOTE ]
Even though this is a blind battle, can I bet here? Is he not capable of coming over the top if I bet? Do I want that or not? I can't fold. Will he pay off a value bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. 4_2 is unbeatable. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, it doesn't matter if your opponent was 4_2, Phil Ivey, or Donk McDonkelstein in this hand. You're betting for value on the river, as no conceivable draw on the flop got there. If this really is 4_2, you've clearly got him beat, because he's not checking a winning hand in that spot on the river.

The key is to find an amount you think will get a call. I think a bet of $25 or so will get a call from 2-pair hands, and that's about the best Villain will have here.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:42 AM

I don't get it. What are you possibly afraid of? I think he's ahead of you here pretty much never. Half pot it and pray he has something he can call you with.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 AM

I bet $40 because that's what I would do if I had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I'm guessing he folds to any bet, but when he calls it will be to catch your missed spade flush.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 AM

I don't remember this hand, but I hope that I folded to your bet and didn't look up your missed flush draw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit - I think I remember now. I was not drawing to nearly as many outs as I thought. Nicely played.

I am curious, what hand does everyone think I had?
Old 02-06-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you possibly afraid of? I think he's ahead of you here pretty much never.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. this is a definite value bet. you can't push 'cause he's not a donk. 1/2 pot seems about right.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:49 AM

I really like your play this hand, and there doesn't seem to be any other good way to play it. Good raise on the flop, good value bet on the end.

Keep taking those shots [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. What are you possibly afraid of? I think he's ahead of you here pretty much never. Half pot it and pray he has something he can call you with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I am ahead 99% of the time. I also know it's not a very interesting hand to most if anybody. Question for me is how much will he pay off/do I bet (already answered)? Honestly I think he pays nothing.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:56 AM

Bet $35. 4 2 it is a donkey and will call with A high.

Seriously, though, he's a great player. The problem with that is not playing with scared money against a really good player. They'll run all over you.

On the other hand, I can't see much wrong with this hand, though I find it a bit odd that he went into check-call mode...I can't put him on a hand, other than KT or something like that.

I was serious, though about the $35.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Two spades. You're not playing KJ this passively, you're not completing you're SB with K2 or J2, it's gotta be some type of combo draw. Most likely Ax that picked up extra wheel outs on the turn.