Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 06:04 AM

Default Re: 55 in BB

just to clafify my comment was more in the lines of, i don't think it matters really much so whatever.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:10 AM

So you don't think it's a small mistake, but actually borderline? Do you really think you make up the lost equity postflop?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:11 AM

Agree w/ CDC, preflop doesn't really matter. I will say I like it better from the cutoff or button. A continuation bet on a KJ suited flop against 5 limpers would be foolhardy. You will at least be called in a minimum of 2 spots.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's that bad but I do think it's slightly -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:34 AM

OK, OK it's borderline!

Duh, I was thinking, hmmmn.... we are getting 1:5 on a 1:7.5 shot -- not too good.

But of course, it's only a fraction of a SB we are giving up. So I worked it out at 1/3 of a SB in lost equity. Correct?

I'm still not convinced we can regain this OOP, but it must be close when considering tying people to the pot, the occasions we get a free card OOP, future image, deception etc.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:05 AM

It is very positive EV on set value alone (and then there is always the chance of winning it unimproved).

You are investing an additional SB and building a pot that has 11SB (not including the one you just put in). 6SB are already in the pot and 5 more will go in with your raise. Beware of a player known to LRR UTG though as that will destroy your odds.

11 to 1 for a 8 to 1 shot!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:14 AM

Those 6SB already in the pot don't count on your raise though!!!!

You get 5 to 1 money on your raise, which is a 7.5 to 1 shot. We get 5 more bets in the pot, which we will "win" 1 in 7.5.

1/7.5 x 5 = 2/3. So we have equity of 2/3 of a SB on a raise of 1SB. So we are giving up 1/3rd of a SB by raising. That's how I see it anyhow....
Old 06-29-2006, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That preflop raise is not typical for me. I think I was steaming a bit. I was kind of curious if anyone wanted a continuation bet or any continuation for that matter. The reason I remember the hand (probably) is because the flop got checked thru and I bet the turn King (2 callers) and river King (1 caller, board KJ4KK) and mhwg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't raise this often online because the player pools are so big that the value in having them remember it is reduced, as well as the fact that there really isn't much one can do to tie them more to the pot.

In live games, like what used to exist in NYC, where everyone knew everyone, it's a different story.

Nice hand. Good river bet.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:36 AM

If there were two limpers and a button raise, calling with 55 from the BB is profitable, right?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:38 AM

of course..... and calling in your example is more profitable than 3-betting, which may still show a profit, but not as much as calling...... uggh I'm confusing now but you get the point!

Anyway, I agree with you that the fact of being live versus online may make enough difference to swing the original example.