Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM

Default JJ against a donk

villian is 64/14/1.8 and a happy donk. no reads on what min-reraise could mean, but he did bet when he had not much before...

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $166
UTG+1: $29.13
UTG+2: $183.87
MP1: $42.12
MP2: $27.75
Hero: $121.50
CO: $26.75
Button: $89.50
SB: $79.25
BB: $156

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, 5 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($13.5, 2 players)
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $9</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 raises to $18</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($49.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets $31</font>, Hero calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($111.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets $36</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $67.5</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Results:
Final pot: $246.5

my thoughts:
i could have raised more prf, but table was rather passiv and loved to limp-fold.
i should have re-raised on the flop here, right. it looks like i have a problem with (post)flop aggression despite the fact that i have an flop agression factor of 3.2... i am working on it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
on the turn i had no idea where i stand, but i can't fold my overpair + oesd here. or can i?
the river was very easy to play.

any other comments?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Re: JJ against a donk

Preflop - Raise to $8...your $5 raise will not narrow the field after so many limpers.

I think the rest looks pretty standard to me.

What is your plan on a blank river?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:43 AM

looking at the boardtexture and flop/turn action i do not put him on a draw. he has a piece of the flop.

so on a blank river i think i would call a reasonable bet and probably fold to an all-in. i like my hand, but given villians preflop range he could easily hit 2 pair, a set, a straight, whatever...

am i too wuzzy here?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 AM

i'd say it's ok. I'd fold most rivers other than a 5 or 7 I think.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM

PF raise was obv too small.

I think a big reason why you don't know where you are at is because you don't know where the villain is at. I think you let him get away with his villainy by not punishing his stupid-*** check-min-raise. I want to raise reraise to some number on the flop, but im not quite sure what that number is. Because a raise is trying to give you a binomial indicator of whether you are gonna win this hand, you want your raise to be uncallable, either he will fold because his minraise was out of line, or he will shove, because he limped a monster (usually preflop monster-limpers will reraise you though, which is why I think he is just acting completely out of line.)

My gut says his minraise is tryin to find out if you are just c-betting or not as well....

Is there any raise here that will accomplish the things im talking about without costing too much or committing us to this pot??? help appreciated.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM

My flop raise would have been $6. I would have potted the flop to $13.5 ($15.5 if you raised more). You can't call the turn. Either you fold to his resistance, or you push. By the river, it's a clear dump.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 PM

yeah i too like to fold the second nuts???

WTF mate

please tell me you were being sarcastic
Old 05-10-2006, 01:12 PM

OP: dont listen to ken egervari (or anyone else that tells you to fold the river. you have second nuts, and i dont think any sane person C/R's QJ like that (especially since they are out of position) and even if they would, i dont think they would make it a C/minR.

im not changing anything i said earlier, but if you somehow get to the river, you are winning (or chopping)
Old 05-10-2006, 02:39 PM

hehe, i am unsure about my line, but an advice like

[ QUOTE ]
My flop raise would have been $6.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would have potted the flop to $13.5 ($15.5 if you raised more)

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By the river, it's a clear dump.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like he misread the action in the hand (but such things happen to me, too.)

no, i think a bigger preflop-raise would have been good to punish villians pre-flop range more. i think this is the biggest mistake in this hand. flop is rather standard (maybe a psb, but certainly no 1/2 pot bet on this board against such a loose villian) and i can`t see how you can get away on the turn here without a read.

but even with a bigger preflop-raise. on the flop i'd still be lost in bigger pot if he minraises me. and chances are he`d do it. but now i know he does it with monsters...
Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 PM

results?