Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Sushi in Vegas

[ QUOTE ]
which place is closest to Bellagio?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okda is Wynn, Nobu is Hard Rock. They are equally the same distance. You can skip the other recommendations if you want a mind-blowing sushi experience. if you just want to eat sushi with no concern for the quality then just dont leave Bellagio, eat at Shintaro.

All you Osaka fans - the sushi was sub-par, and the rice didn't have the proper tack. skip it.

I haven't eaten at Social House (just drinks) but my understanding is its more club than food, go there for the atmosphere.

One more option - Sushi Roku at Ceasers Palace. The plus is you can walk, the minus is by the time you get there its the same distance as Hard Rock.

PS: Nobu is the only rated sushi restaurant in Vegas, I think that says a lot. Michelin ratings are the be-all and end-all for foodies, a 1 star Michelin restaurant is likely to be the best meal of your life.

City Search winners

LV Michelin Guide
Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Photoc took me to a locals place a couple of times - really good but I can't recall the name of it. It is about a 10 minute drive from the strip. $25 all you can eat GOOD sushi on Tuesdays. PM him if he doesn't show up in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Psandman listed it above. It's Sushi Mon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've now tried about 10 or 11 places and still go back to this one for the all you can eat fiest [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

www.sushi-mon.com is the website for the Silverado Ranch location. There is also one on W. Sahara about 6 miles west of the strip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Photoc,
Sushi Mon has always been my favorite too, but last time I was there about three months ago they changed the menu - got rid of some of the variety of rolls and took the Toro off the menu (you were allowed to get one order per person). This was at sahara location. I was really bummed because two or three of the rolls we always get were taken off, so we haven't gone back (had been there maybe 20 times before this). Did you notice they changed the menu?

Is there any other good all you can eat on the west side of town for me to try? What was the "best of the rest"? I want a place that you order off a menu (not makino or todai).

On a side note, Makino on Fort Apache/Charleston was listed in wednesday's paper as being closed for 46 health violations!!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM

hello,

i will be hitting up Nobu hopefully this week, however I am a sushi noob.

i enjoy random trout and california rolls, and recently had dragon rolls (which im told is eel), and I loved them all. however I am not really a veggie person.

what are some good things on nobu's menu that i havent tried before that I might like? ty in advance.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kobe NY Strip was amazing

[/ QUOTE ]

When is it not? I've had like three of these at different locations in sushi rolls and they might actually be my top 3 rolls consumed so far... soooo good
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM

Clayton,

You may know this, but you said noob, so here goes: Generally, you will want to try at least hamachi (yellowtail), toro (the fatty part of the tuna), sake (salmon). Mackerel is also worth a try, but it has a more pronounced taste. Other seafood worth a shot include eel, surf clam, and scallop. Squid and octopus will be tougher (especially if the place caters more to Japanese, since they have a thing for texture) but can be worthwhile. Uni (sea urchin) may be too out there for you, but give it a try, it has a creamy texture.

The best stuff will always be what is fresh and recommended (for instance, the toro peak season is in winter). The chef is your friend here.

If you are adventurous, and can spend some money, the best way to try new stuff in a sushi place is to sit at the bar, and tell the chef that's what you're looking to do. He'll hook you up with fresh and interesting stuff. (That's basically what omikase is, and Nobu is known for, but omikase is going to be a traditional tasting menu and include cooking outside sushi.)

Be prepared to drop some cash, but letting the chef at the bar hook you up really is an experience.

Eating at the bar and asking the chef to take care of me is how I tried such things as Japanese mountain potato (served with a quail egg), jellyfish, and abalone (described by the chef as fish bubble gum -like I said they like that rubbery texture).
Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be prepared to drop some cash, but letting the chef at the bar hook you up really is an experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched Brad L and Prevaricator do this at Sushi Roku, the chef said "give me a price, I give you sushi". If i recall correctly they were in for $300/head each + drinks. For $1k he would have brought out toro the size of a small cow [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM

Also...

...part of the Nobu experience isn't just Sushi. Their menu also consists of other items that allow the Chefs to really show their chops. Much of the menu is sort of like a Japanese version of Tapas - small portions that are designed to be shared by the table. The Sushi is outstanding - but these items are what really makes the Nobu experience. Ask your server for suggestions.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:38 PM

Never had sushi in Vegas, but I'm a huge sushi fan and my favorites are Unagi (fresh water eel, which is not raw), Saba (mackerel, which has a strong flavor, as mentioned), and salmon roe with raw quail egg. Yum. Can't wait to head back to Vegas to try some of these places.

I actually had pet goats named Saba and Unagi [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I watched Brad L and Prevaricator do this at Sushi Roku, the chef said "give me a price, I give you sushi". If i recall correctly they were in for $300/head each + drinks. For $1k he would have brought out toro the size of a small cow [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. What restaurant? Any memorable stuff from that meal?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That visit to Tsukiji is one of the great experiences in Tokyo, isn't it? You're not sleeping from the jetlag anyway, so a 5AM visit to the fish market is fun! They won't let you in to the auction any more, but you can watch if from an adjoining area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. One of my favorite Tokyo experiences.