Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Why doesn\'t the NFL have a DL?

In MLB, you can put a guy on the 15 or 60 DL, depending on his injury severity. obviously this allows you to fill his spot on the 25 man roster with a healthy player, and allows you to bring a player back after an injury has healed. why doesn't the NFL have something similar?

I mean, the PUP is something, but I always found its restrictions weird. You can't bring a guy back until week 6 -why week 6?

and that doesn't have any relevance to late season injuries. if a key player gets hurt now and is going to miss significant time (say 6 weeks) you almost have to put him on IR which means he is out for the year. it's a big problem to have your 53 man roster filled with hurt players b/c you need everyone as special teamers, subs, etc.

is it just a $ issue? the owners don't want to have to pay a few other replacement type guys?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Why doesn\'t the NFL have a DL?

You only play with 45 active players (not counting the emergency QB) so essentially you do have 8 DL spots each week whether you want them or not.

Here is a link to an ESPN TMQ article that takes up your cause.

ESPN Article
Old 11-14-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You only play with 45 active players (not counting the emergency QB) so essentially you do have 8 DL spots each week whether you want them or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, so maybe I'm saying the 53 man roster should be 56 or 60 to account for guys you need to put on IR even though it's possible they could play in 2 months.

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a link to an ESPN TMQ article that takes up your cause.

ESPN Article

[/ QUOTE ]

makes me sad I agree with him [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 03:51 PM

I believe (could be wrong) that the 53 man roster was the "solution" to the NFL having no Disabled List. Before that was implemented there was no flexiblilty so that if you had a player that was hurt and you weren't sure if he could heal in time you had to play with a short roster.

With the 53 man roster you have the flexiblity to have 8 guys in limbo before you have to decide whether to DL someone. Seems like enough to me.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe (could be wrong) that the 53 man roster was the "solution" to the NFL having no Disabled List. Before that was implemented there was no flexiblilty so that if you had a player that was hurt and you weren't sure if he could heal in time you had to play with a short roster.

With the 53 man roster you have the flexiblity to have 8 guys in limbo before you have to decide whether to DL someone. Seems like enough to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the practice squad, that's 8 more. Still, as we're talking about in the other thread and should probably move here, I'm in the "IR needs tweaking" group.

Cody
Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the practice squad, that's 8 more. Still, as we're talking about in the other thread and should probably move here, I'm in the "IR needs tweaking" group.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

The practice squad doesn't work like a DL, players have to be Cut from the 53 man roster first before being signed. They are FA once they are cut and can sign anywhere.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

The practice squad doesn't work like a DL, players have to be Cut from the 53 man roster first before being signed. They are FA once they are cut and can sign anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, tell the Ravens about that