Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Drinking sports drinks while playing live

You guys are all FOS here. I am just going to stick with what is my avatar [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 02:31 PM

1) Remember the WSOP Main Event + Hevid Kahn + Red Bull = Embarassing Behavior on Tape?
2) Years ago, I swore off chiropractors when my waiter at my favorite restaurant announced he was opening his chiropractic office and he could cure my ALLERGIES. He didn't make this up. He had been taught this in school! Don't let them touch your body or your mind!
Old 11-11-2007, 02:59 AM

It was the only thing that helped my back when it went out 2 times in years past. That and they have 2 cute skirts who give great massages so how can I say no.

It's my new preflop routine.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 AM

As recommended by most nutritionist, I drink one plain red bull for every red bull vodka I drink at the table.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember hearing a similar sort of thing about Go. World contenders were weighed in before and after a long match, with weight being lost during the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quote:
He started to tell me about how he had read somewhere that when chess players play for like 3 hours at a time that they actually burn way more calories than one would think from the intense concentration and focus etc.
I'm sorry guys, but these sound like 100% pure horsehockey. You might get mentally fatigued playing poker, or get sore back muscles, but you are not burning (many) calories. You're not moving! You're not burning calories playing poker any more than you are burning calories from the intense concentration of watching the next season of "24."

The thing about the Go match is especially implausible--if someone lost weight during a match, it would be water weight lost from dehydration, not fat calories burned.

Drink what you want at the poker table, but not because your chiropractor said so.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 AM

As mentioned, most of the ideas in this thread are crap. You don't need any particular "hydration" sitting at a table for hours. Unless you are actually sweating profusely from nervousness or something. You need LESS "hydration" than normal office work where you'd be up and around. And certainly way less than any "sport" where you're actually moving.

You feel tired after a long period of mental exertion not because you've burned a lot of calories, but because your brain is simply tired, and sometimes because you're tense and your muscles might actually be tight. But that's a separate issue. It's not necessary to feel stressed just because you're concentrating.

Just eat regular food at regular intervals. Or if you are a person who has blood sugar going up and down, then eat smaller meals and snacks more often. Or eat lighter, more easily digested foods. Heavier meals take blood flow to your stomach and intestines and can make you feel lethargic or sleepy sometimes.

A sports drink such as Ultra Fuel would be more appropriate than the simpler-sugar in Gatorade.

(Of course each person is different. If you are into Adkins or some other diet because your body reacts to complex carbohydrates as if they were simple sugars, then "lighter meals" of carbohydrates might mess with your blood sugar, but you know who you are and you don't need this thread to tell you how you feel.)

An energy drink (or simply coffee or one NoDoz pill) can help with some caffeine intake. But sugar isn't necessary, and certainly extra water isn't going to do you any good (other than the fact that a lot of people don't drink enough water for optimal health to begin with), and extra electrolytes certainly are not needed (again, except for the fact that the diet of many people contains too much sodium relative to potassium and magnesium to begin with.)