Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 AM

Default ReStarting Strength. Need program design help

Hay guys.

I've been getting less fat for about a month now, and I want to start working out again. I want to do a routine very similar to starting strength, but without the squats for now. I can't really do deep knee bending type movements, but I think I can do deadlifts alright.

I pm'ed TimM and he said that going hard three days a week on deadlifts might be too much stress on my back and I won't be leaving enough time to recover. Apparently the spinal erectors don't recover very quickly. Perhaps I could do a heavy-light-medium thingie with just the deadlifts or maybe even heavy/nothing/heavy scheme? I'm not sure how I should arrange the set/rep schemes for each day.

One thing I can do is static holds in deep knee bend positions, such as wall sits, so I suppose I could hold some dumbells or just try to sit longer. Wall sits are actually a part of my rehab program. I was also looking at some leg work and I think pull through's could also be added to my program somehow.

So I was thinking it could go something like this:
Monday
deadlifts: 1 or 3 x 5?
Bench press: 3x5
dips: 3x5

Wednesday
deadlifts: lighter weight compared to my 1RM (it's somewhere in the low 200's), not sure about the set/rep scheme. I also could NOT do them on this day altogether to give the back a rest.
military press: 3x5
pendlay rows: 3x5
pullups/chinups ?
(I can probably do 1-3 BW chinups right now, but I also have access to one of those pullup machines where it supports your body a bit)

Friday
deadlifts: somewhere between light and medium
bench press: 3x5
dips: 3x5

Please critique or adjust my program, I really need it and don't know enough to work around the squat issue on my own.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: ReStarting Strength. Need program design help

You have a knee problem that keeps you from doing squats? I would just do your knee rehab in place of the squats then, which presumably involves high-rep low-weight and a lot of work on stabilizer muscles and the more unusual motions.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:54 PM

Too many deads, as said, I like wednesday, Id just do a simple chest routine on mondays (bench, tricep pulldowns, flys, dips) and some leg work on friday (are you able to do lunges, leg machines etc?). At this point, just "starting out" keep it simple.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Too many deads, as said, I like wednesday, Id just do a simple chest routine on mondays (bench, tricep pulldowns, flys, dips) and some leg work on friday (are you able to do lunges, leg machines etc?). At this point, just "starting out" keep it simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about if I spaced the deadlifts out on mondays and fridays, so there's at least 3 days of rest between each workout?

If you think that's too much, I will just do it once a week.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:59 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to label my workouts correctly.

On the second week I would do wednesday's workout on monday. So just alternate workouts with three workouts in a week.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:18 AM

Now that I'm maxing out my compound lifts, my recovery time from doing heavy squats and bench is not sufficient enough to warrant doing them every other day, especially when I need to be throwing off a mound and playing a weekly instructional game. I'm probably going to do heavy compound lifts twice a week and add in Crossfit-like stuff for the third workout.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:39 PM

So I think I'm going to follow starting strength and just skip squats and do knee rehab like cbloom said. That means I'll be doing deadlifts three times in a two week period, which I think is fine I guess.

I also will be doing pullups, and probably the dips as well. I want to be able to do a set of eight bodyweight pullups and chinups. Right now I can do 2 chinups in a row. So that's one of my primary goals.

I went to the gym with my buddy today, and showed him the starting strength routine, taught him how to squat, deadlift, power clean (kinda), and bent over row. Gave him my copy of starting strength. I had to do a few sets of bodyweight and empty bar squats, and I didn't get any irritation or cracking on the way up. That's a good sign, but nonetheless I am not going to be squatting. Deadlifts felt good as far as my knee goes, so I think I will be able to get a decent work out in.

Question about the power clean:
So basically you do a deadlift, and as soon as it clears your knee you basically "jump", shrug, and then get under the bar. AMIRITE? Is there a better way to think about the lift? Am I supposed to do a mini knee dip before I jump?