Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Razz: $100 pot at $2/$4

Razz ($2/$4), Ante $0.40, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises

4th Street - (17.85 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (10.93 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises

6th Street - (22.93 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (25.93 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (25.93 BB - $103.70)

Anything I should have done differently here?

On fifth street, I don't give Seat 1 credit for a great set of hole cards, because he just flat called 3rd street. I figure that like me, he's probably capping with a 7 draw figuring that the two 7 draws are solid favorites over the 8 draw.

This was part of a -20 BB session for me, when every draw seemed to miss and most of my good hands got no action. Winning this hand alone would have given me a profitable session... Oh well, variance, what can you say?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Razz: $100 pot at $2/$4

I think you have to jam 5th, not because you are usually ahead, but to make seat 3 pay to draw. I would expect seat 1 has a 3 good cards in the hole and is a little ahead unless he paired the 4.

Got to jam 3rd too multiway.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:20 PM

I don't think there is a reason to raise 5th. Call him down for all you know he has a draw at a 6.
I'm assuming here that seat 3 wins unless he paired his 5. Personally I'm folding 4th, with the 3rd street action you have to think that seat 3 has a 6. When you bricked you were chasing on 4th. (That's just my opinion not sure if it's right tho)
Old 08-13-2007, 05:19 PM

No way do I fold 4th getting 20:1 - and no one has a 6 on 4th, at best seat 3 is drawing to an 8.

Raising 5th is not terrible but I don't think I'd do it twice and I'm not sure I'd do it at all.

I think seat 3 made an 86 on 6th and I think you played 6th fine. I don't think I can fold 6th though though, again you're getting 24:1 and although sometimes you'll hit and lose, it's worth it. Keep in mind though that 6 of the bets in the pot are there because of the raising spree on 5th. This might be an example of where you have to call not because it makes you more money, but because it costs you less than folding.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM

I did a little off the cuff simulation and I think both of your opponents have to be drawing to an 8 in order for you to have much more than 1/3 equity on 5th.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising 5th is not terrible but I don't think I'd do it twice and I'm not sure I'd do it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is likely even money to a small dog to Seat 1's draw, and Seat 3 is putting in bets with the worst of it. Jamming the pot on 5th creates a nice overlay, even if Hero is slightly behind Seat 1 at the moment.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 PM

I'm not big on jamming third street in razz, but with an Eight coming along for the ride, I wouldn't be able to help myself. You seem to think that seat 1 can't have much of a hand because he failed to raise. I think that a lot of players will just call the two bets whether they have 63 down or 87.

Fourth is an easy call. If the bettor has a very strong draw on fifth, then you have a very small equity edge with the Eight-draw still in. If the bettor has a Seven-draw or worse, you've got a decent edge. If you think that's in his range--and it probably is--go ahead and jam. Also, if jamming causes the Eight-draw to fold, I'd say that's a good thing at this point.

Sixth and seventh are pretty standard. I really wouldn't want to have to call a bet on the end.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to think that seat 1 can't have much of a hand because he failed to raise. I think that a lot of players will just call the two bets whether they have 63 down or 87.

[/ QUOTE ]

On further analysis, you're right. If Seat 1 three-bets, he's telegraphing his hand, and it might not help to thin the field anyway. I know I've smooth called two bets cold with a premium starting hand, with the intent of not giving out any information.

FWIW, and I can't be sure, because FTP shuffles the down cards, I think that Seat 1 actually did start with 3 cards to a wheel in this hand, and did have a significant equity edge on 5th street.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, and I can't be sure, because FTP shuffles the down cards, I think that Seat 1 actually did start with 3 cards to a wheel in this hand, and did have a significant equity edge on 5th street.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you still have a slight equity edge, and since there was at least some chance that you had a significant equity edge I think that jamming was fine.