Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 05-19-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Re: limit holdem em semi-beginner book

Winning low limit hold 'em is an excellent book too. A lot of people criticize this book as earlier editions had some mistakes in them but the current (3rd) edition is very, very good. Basically I would say your choices boil down to:

1. Small stakes hold 'em by Ed Miller.

2. Internet Texas hold 'em by Matthew Hilger.

3. Winning low limit hold 'em by Lee Jones.

4. Getting started in hold 'em by Ed Miller.

Assuming your boyfriend is past the beginner stage therefore making him a beginner/ intermediate player, then go with either (or preferably both) of the first two. In my opinion they are the two best books on limit hold 'em available. At least as far as people who play "normal" limits by which I mean 10/20 or below are concerned. Ultra high stakes and middle limit games which I assume your partner doesn't play like 50/100 and higher require different strategies.

Trust me when I say those two books are the best available for the limit player. I own about 60 poker books, most of them on the subject of limit hold 'em and I still consider those two the best.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:52 AM

By the way, one other book that is just fantastic in my opinion is "Winning Texas hold 'em. Cash game strategies for players of all skill levels" by a guy named Matt Maroon. It's one of my favorite poker books and is very underrated by most people. Some of the information in this book is just not available elsewhere and it covers strategies for players of all limits. Check that one out too.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, one other book that is just fantastic in my opinion is "Winning Texas hold 'em. Cash game strategies for players of all skill levels" by a guy named Matt Maroon. It's one of my favorite poker books and is very underrated by most people. Some of the information in this book is just not available elsewhere and it covers strategies for players of all limits. Check that one out too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stoxtrader just blew Maroon to smithereens
Old 05-19-2007, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Weighing The Odds in Texas Hold 'em" by King Yao

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant book. Should get the same publicity as "Small Stakes Holdem" IMHO
Old 05-19-2007, 01:17 PM

Of course it's actually called "Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker", thank you for giving me a chance to correct that.

I stopped reading SSHE shortly into it as it was giving prescriptive advice, which I don't think is appropriate in a textbook, especially as the games it describe barely exist above play money only three years later.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:49 PM

ITH is a very good book to get started with.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:51 AM

Yes, ITH is very sound, very complete. SSH is a great book as well, but I'd read ITH first.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 PM

So where does 21ist Century Edition of Holdem Poker for Advanced Players fit into this bunch?????????

I play poker off and on due to my work reqiuring travel and a bunch of other "sh_t". I try to mostly play low-limit holdem-found that my results are more profitable. I have read every book on limit holdem several times.

I have to agree that Small Stakes Holdem has to be maybe the best.

You can leave Lee Jones books for begginers- but it is about the best intro book.

I think Yaos book is very thourough, however, all that complicated pot odds math is very distracting. Also Hilgers Internet Holdem is a good intermediate limit book.

Am I wasting my time reading Holdem Poker for Advanced Poker after I have read Small Stakes Holdem???

Is HPFAP really all that more "advanced" over Small Stakes or King Yao??

I have only read HPFAP twice and it is not the easiest book to get through- I wonder if I will just be clouding my head with more crap I do not need??
Old 05-22-2007, 10:58 AM

There aren't many poker books where you're completely wasting your time. While HPFAP was influential and "important", it's not that good of a book otherwise. You'd be better off with ITH and then SSHE. Read HPFAP to pick up some tidbits after that. The important concepts are explained better in the other 2 books. Or ToP for that matter.