Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Bottom Set vs. 4_2_It

How do you think these statements are different?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not so much concerned with only getting called by a better [hand], as I am with keeping the pressure on when I think I have the winning hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There's no value in bettiing if only a better hand can call. Betting is -EV in that case if no hand we beat will call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-06-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

No ppoint really, just providing information.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:10 PM

Okay--what info are you providing? That hero is most likely behind if called?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing it will not be pretty when you reveal my donktastic hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You held K9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I then immediately proceeded to add you to my buddy list since I realized you really earned your title. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Obviously j/k..

I'm sure you would have folded if my mouse even hovered over the bet button.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You held K9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I then immediately proceeded to add you to my buddy list since I realized you really earned your title. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Obviously j/k..

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have typed gamboool in the chat box with my turn call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the main reason why your post puzzled me is because I vb any river when I think I have the best hand. I'm not so much concerned with only getting called by a better one, as I am with keeping the pressure on when I think I have the winning hand.

And so when you say 'don't bet, 'cause only a better hand calls'--I say, yeah, okay with marginal hands I agree. But not with good hands on non scary boards. Bet--even if you expect a fold much of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

From TOP:

[ QUOTE ]
When you bet for value on the end after your opponent has checked, you must figure your hand has better than a 50-50 chance of winning when you are called. In fact, you have to figure it has at least abouta 55 percent chance of winning for those time when your opponent is planning to check-raise. With three-of-a-kind against a flush drawm you are certainly the favorite, but you are not the favorite if your opponent calls. yet to show a profit on your last round bets, clearly you must be the favorite when your opponent calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

vulture,

Sklansky doesn't address metagame factors here. If I'm playing a lot of pots against a calling station (who has started to call down my bluffs with very mediocre holdings), I will often make a very think (maybe slightly -EV) value bet on the end. The reason is that I don't want to think that he can call my flop cont bet, check turn and river and get a cheap showdown when he has 2nd pair or whatever. I like to protect the money I put into the pot, and a very thin river value bet is a way to establish that people can't just start calling a single bet and take down pots with hands like 7T on 47Q against my AK (just an example).
Old 02-06-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously j/k..

[/ QUOTE ]

So you checked the river? Why?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:13 PM

i'd bet $20 and pray he comes over the top sensing weakness.
if he hit a miracle with 6s4s or As4s, that sucks
Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the main reason why your post puzzled me is because I vb any river when I think I have the best hand. I'm not so much concerned with only getting called by a better one, as I am with keeping the pressure on when I think I have the winning hand.

And so when you say 'don't bet, 'cause only a better hand calls'--I say, yeah, okay with marginal hands I agree. But not with good hands on non scary boards. Bet--even if you expect a fold much of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

From TOP:

[ QUOTE ]
When you bet for value on the end after your opponent has checked, you must figure your hand has better than a 50-50 chance of winning when you are called. In fact, you have to figure it has at least abouta 55 percent chance of winning for those time when your opponent is planning to check-raise. With three-of-a-kind against a flush drawm you are certainly the favorite, but you are not the favorite if your opponent calls. yet to show a profit on your last round bets, clearly you must be the favorite when your opponent calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

vulture,

Sklansky doesn't address metagame factors here. If I'm playing a lot of pots against a calling station (who has started to call down my bluffs with very mediocre holdings), I will often make a very think (maybe slightly -EV) value bet on the end. The reason is that I don't want to think that he can call my flop cont bet, check turn and river and get a cheap showdown when he has 2nd pair or whatever. I like to protect the money I put into the pot, and a very thin river value bet is a way to establish that people can't just start calling a single bet and take down pots with hands like 7T on 47Q against my AK (just an example).

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think Sklanksy needs to address metagame factors, as you could probably consider that as part of your assessment of whether you are ahead or not. But good food for thought.