Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Iverson Traded to Denver...

[ QUOTE ]
Being on a better team with a better offense should really improve his shooting percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. He's been between 40% and 42% for pretty much his whole career, and Philly hasn't sucked in each of those years. I don't think there's even a correlation between AI's shooting percentage and his team's winning percentage, let alone a causation.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being on a better team with a better offense should really improve his shooting percentage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. He's been between 40% and 42% for pretty much his whole career, and Philly hasn't sucked in each of those years. I don't think there's even a correlation between AI's shooting percentage and his team's winning percentage, let alone a causation.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't recall them having another scoring option anywhere near as effective as Melo.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty crazy squad there in denver.

Camby
AI
Melo
Boykins
Najera

moving JR to the bench will help with the lack of depth with the departures of Miller and Smith.

Philly, whatever. King will [censored] up those two picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nene will start at the 4. Najera played as Nene recovered from his knee reconstruction, but Nene has been getting more PT and started the Knick game.

Smith didn't play too much, and that was becoming even less as Nene has been healthy.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 PM

Crazy... when was the last time two #1 picks were traded for one another?

In other news, the top 2 picks from the vaunted 1996 draft (some consider it to be the best of all time, definitely top 3 of all time, with Kobe, AI, Peja, Jermaine, Nash, Allen, Starbury, Camby, etc etc etc) are on the same team now! Powerhouse!

I can't wait to watch the Nugs. Well, 14 games from now.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Boykins will start at PG.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but this team doesn't really have a true point in that they look to run a lot. Their most effective offensive lineup had Boykins and Miller in the game at the same time with both looking to push the pace. AI and JR will be in the backcourt a lot too.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's even a correlation between AI's shooting percentage and his team's winning percentage, let alone a causation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain! If AI could magically convert one missed shot per game into a make during his career, wouldn't logic dictate that his teams would have won at least a few more games?

With scoring margins as narrow as they are, you'd think one additional make (vs. a miss) could be as valuable as four or five wins per year. If a make is worth 2 pts, a miss is probably worth less than half a point (since some makes are rebounded by a team-mate and scored). That's over 1.5 pts more per game.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But I don't recall them having another scoring option anywhere near as effective as Melo.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they can play inside/outside (as opposed to two good guards), so won't that make them even more dangerous? I think it's going to be a nightmare to help on AI without leaving Melo one on one, and vica versa.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:44 PM

if his FG% goes up, it's because he takes better shots, and less of them, due to the presence of Carmelo.

He would've shot less and taken better shots if he ever had a decent second option to go with him. Instead, he had to huck up a ton of shots. He had to get the ball every time the shot clock was winding down.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Boykins will start at PG.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really like boykins but there's no way they can defend anyone with boykins and iverson in the backcourt
Old 12-19-2006, 05:45 PM

Offensive rebounders will thrive w/ AI. Camby, Evans & the big men should get a lot of easy putbacks.

edit: Also, someone gets screwed off the Western AllStar team now.