Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: The immigration issue (YouTube Republican debate)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
McCain is a national hero?

Oh wait, I forgot that for some reason people consider bad things happening to you to be heroic. Nevermind, carry on.

*goes and heroicly jumps into the Grand Canyon*

[/ QUOTE ]

forget your coffee before posting this morning?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was hilarious.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Just to confirm: illegal (excuse me dennis kucinich, undocumented) immigrants pay taxes? Is that a fact, jack?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to confirm: illegal (excuse me dennis kucinich, undocumented) immigrants pay taxes? Is that a fact, jack?

[/ QUOTE ]

They certainly pay sales taxes when they buy things. Illegal immigrants who are assigned fake SS #s by their employers are also paying payroll taxes and aren't be eligible to collect any of the benefits.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 PM

If we had a fair tax immigrants abusing our system would be a moot point, no?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we had a fair tax immigrants abusing our system would be a moot point, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think so, yes. "Abusing the system" may mean something like "immigrants will utilize the welfare system at a greater rate than 'native born' Americans" and that constitutes abuse, but as far as funding goes, I would suspect a national consumption tax that eliminates the need for other forms of taxation would mitigate concerns that immigrants don't fund the system.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They certainly pay sales taxes when they buy things. Illegal immigrants who are assigned fake SS #s by their employers are also paying payroll taxes and aren't be eligible to collect any of the benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about real estate taxes? School taxes, etc? And any idea how many illegal immigrants pay payroll taxes?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about real estate taxes? School taxes, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most public schools in the US are funded by a combination of local property taxes and state income taxes. Illegal immigrants almost certainly can't escape property taxes if they own property and probably bear the burden of property taxes even if they rent, since the landlord is just going to roll the price of property taxes that they're levied into the cost of renting.

[ QUOTE ]
And any idea how many illegal immigrants pay payroll taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/05/busine...p;partner=kmarx

"In 2002 alone, the last year with figures released by the Social Security Administration, nine million W-2's with incorrect Social Security numbers landed in the suspense file, accounting for $56 billion in earnings, or about 1.5 percent of total reported wages.

Social Security officials do not know what fraction of the suspense file corresponds to the earnings of illegal immigrants. But they suspect that the portion is significant.

"Our assumption is that about three-quarters of other-than-legal immigrants pay payroll taxes," said Stephen C. Goss, Social Security's chief actuary, using the agency's term for illegal immigration."

So, according to the Social Security Admins chief actuary, the guess is that about 75% of illegal immigrants pay payroll taxes.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about real estate taxes? School taxes, etc? And any idea how many illegal immigrants pay payroll taxes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of the 100+ that I have met and know, I would say about 90% pay regular taxes just like the taxes that come out of citizens checks. Seriously. The odd one that cleans houses doesn't. And a few have a small portion of their total income in cash. But almost all are paid by payroll check with a SSN attached and federal, state, etc taken out.

I don't know how it is where they are all picking fruit, but in the cities, where there are stores and businesses, the immigrants working there are not paid cash...they all get checks and have all the same taxes taken out. The only difference is they don't file returns, so all of the one's who only have 1 job don't get the $700 tax return for being a working poor. The one's that have 2 crappy jobs and work 70 hours a week to put then in the next tax bracket don't file either, but they are not in an envious position either.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not really correct. A large percentage of illegals are paying payroll taxes on perfectly legitimate SSNs. Unfortunately, they are using the SSNs of their "anchor babies". It is not unusual at all for an 18 month old child to be making several hundred grand a year and paying taxes on all of it because his father and several of his uncles are working on his social security card. These kids will have their Social Security and unemployment benefits maxed before they ever work a day. Of course, taxes are taxes, and no politician or bureaucrat is going to get real excited about ending the practice. It's really just part of the way illegals have learned to game the system.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not really correct. A large percentage of illegals are paying payroll taxes on perfectly legitimate SSNs. Unfortunately, they are using the SSNs of their "anchor babies". It is not unusual at all for an 18 month old child to be making several hundred grand a year and paying taxes on all of it because his father and several of his uncles are working on his social security card. These kids will have their Social Security and unemployment benefits maxed before they ever work a day. Of course, taxes are taxes, and no politician or bureaucrat is going to get real excited about ending the practice. It's really just part of the way illegals have learned to game the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt really matter though...they are still paying in order to receive the benefits. Who cares who gets them? They arent "gaming" anything, at least not in any negative way or way that negatively impacts us.