Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: The whole Clonie/cocaine thing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ZOMG a consenting adult snorts coke!!! Seriously, who cares? From a scientific viewpoint a weekend coke user is doing no more harm to themselves than a casual drinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to show proof before making ridiculous claims like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, i can link you to numerous articles by proffessors concerning cocaine and its dangers in comparison to alcohol use, but I actually can;t be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

The governments and most of the citizens of Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela and Baltimore would disagree with these professors of yours...
Old 05-15-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ZOMG a consenting adult snorts coke!!! Seriously, who cares? From a scientific viewpoint a weekend coke user is doing no more harm to themselves than a casual drinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, i can link you to numerous articles by proffessors concerning cocaine and its dangers in comparison to alcohol use, but I actually can;t be bothered.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i hear it's great for your heart

[/ QUOTE ]

My argument was NOT that cocaine is GOOD for you. I plan never to snort coke due to the health implications. HOWEVER, I was emphasising how bad alcohol is for you (I hear its great for your liver), and there ARE articles and medical journals out there which go as far to say that hard drugs such as heroine and cocaine are less life threatning than excessive alcohol use. If you look at the statsitics at deaths from cocaine/heroine compared with deaths from alcohol (in proportion to users) you will be alarmed.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:46 PM

I think he was referring to the whole "from a scientific point of view" remark. I'm sure if someone claimed that Erica Schoenburg was scientifically better off not lifting Benyamine's gut before head, someone would demand proof.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:12 PM

Alcohol:
Year Death Count Population Crude Death Rate

1998 19,515 2 70,463,688 7.2

Cocaine:
Year Death Count Population Crude Death Rate
1998 1,802 270,463,688 0.7

taken from www.briancbennett.com
Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please be bothered. i would guess you couldn't really compare the 'dangers'. They're surely not quantifiable...

[/ QUOTE ] Abstract on Effects of Coke v. Alcohol

All I did was read the abstract. You can open the study yourself. True, these were dependent patients, but it still shows that people underestimate the dangers of alcohol in comparison to other drugs.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks Kinky that looks very interesting. Astonishing how much misinformation there is out there.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 PM

Stuey---Dead.
Mike Laing---Alive.

I win.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stuey---Dead.
Mike Laing---Alive.

I win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad sample size
Old 05-15-2007, 05:32 PM

So let me make sure I understand, if you use cocaine and alcohol together it is ok? Boy I am confused, must be the short term memory loss. What were we talking about again?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:33 PM

Heroin and cocaine users, even weekend ones, would be doing more harm to their body and selves than a casual drinker.

Cocaine damages your heart and makes you more prone to cardiac related diseases/disorders (including heart attacks). Even doing it on a weekend will gradually raise your addiction level so that your mood swings are higher, your brain becomes dependent on it, and you eventually have to increase your dosage.

A casual drinker is somebody who does not drink to excess and therefore avoids many of the health risks associated with alcohol, and may actually help their health condition by doing so. A binge drinker on the other hand, may run a higher risk of doing health damage to himself than a weekend coke addict -- but that's not what you said. Binge drinking can destroy your liver, destroy personal relationships, and kill you if taken too far. A casual drinker will not experience those side effects, whereas a weekend coke user runs the risk of killing himself each time he takes the drug.

Sorry, but there's no comparison to be made about the dangers of a weekend coke user and a casual drinker.
Closed Thread