Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 01:48 PM

Default Re: skiing/snow boarding questions

[ QUOTE ]
One other factor: for better or worse, the rest of the family (including my kids now) are much better at skiing, but none of them snowboard. I suspect that they might be a little more patient with me if I commit to learning snowboarding, than they are with my slowing everyone down on skiis. But I could be totally wrong about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you take 3-5 days of snowboarding lessons in a row you will be able to keep up with most people on skis. Unless your family is made up of either skiing experts or insane people, you'll be able to keep up with them on most blue and easy black trails.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM

By the way, I say go for it with regards to snowboarding... It sounds cheesy, but snowboarding has been the one thing I've found thus far in my life that I truly love. (I'm only 20, so I've got time to find a wife and stuff like that.) Give it a shot, it's an incredibly fun sport and you just might wind up loving it. What have you got to lose?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 PM

Just an idea. I go once a year, with occasional gaps. I tried snowboarding once, but even with lessons, it wasn't my thing.

About 5 years ago, I tried the snowblades (little short skis, no poles). Unless there is nice powder, it's mostly what I do. I usually will do one day of skis and two of snowblades on a trip.

I rollerblade a lot, so they are like those. I like to jump and stuff and they are AWESOME for that. The big reason I like them is, I don't get anywhere near as tired (because they turn so easy), jumping is awesome (I'm not a stellar athlete and a little 360 is no big deal on a small jump with these), and I don't worry about messing up my knee as much.

You might give them a try.. They look weird, but they are awesome.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:23 PM

Been skiing and boarding since I was 5. I'm 26 now, and I've also taught a few different people to ski and/or board.
1) If you're going to ski, definitely get your skis tuned. There can occasionally be a safety issue, but if the snow conditions are poor, which even in Colorado in December is a possibility, you will be very thankful that you have tuned skis with sharp edges. Given your level, you can get away with having it done once/year.

2) Given that you're out there for a week and your current level, you probably should pick up snowboarding. Depending on your aptitude, you'll spend the first two days or so falling constantly and somewhat bruised. However, by the third day you should be able to get down the trails that you're currently skiing. By the end of the week you should be able to get down just about any non-mogul/double black run. It's much easier to learn to snowboard if you have a week.

3) (an addendum) If you ski, I'd suggest taking a couple lessons. While shaped skis have made things a lot easier, a few lessons will often make a big difference, especially at someone's level that you've described.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:26 PM

No poor snow conditions this year.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:59 PM

take lessons, they are great - you get to ski with people your own ability level, and you dont have any pressure to entertain your wife by going on runs you can't handle. on top of that you get to cut ski lines and you have a guide showing you the best tracks.

as for your wife,,, sign her up to ...not so much for the lesson, but so she can ski with people her own abiity level, she will have much more fun than skiing with you (no offense)
Old 12-20-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just an idea. I go once a year, with occasional gaps. I tried snowboarding once, but even with lessons, it wasn't my thing.

About 5 years ago, I tried the snowblades (little short skis, no poles). Unless there is nice powder, it's mostly what I do. I usually will do one day of skis and two of snowblades on a trip.

I rollerblade a lot, so they are like those. I like to jump and stuff and they are AWESOME for that. The big reason I like them is, I don't get anywhere near as tired (because they turn so easy), jumping is awesome (I'm not a stellar athlete and a little 360 is no big deal on a small jump with these), and I don't worry about messing up my knee as much.

You might give them a try.. They look weird, but they are awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are short skis easier to pick-up if you're somewhat coordinated?

The one time I went skiing, I crashed into a bench-table at the bottom of a "black diamond" which would be like a green at any other ski place.

Both my skis popped off and I got a black eye. (I was like 11, so I'm probably more coordinated now).
Old 12-20-2006, 03:13 PM

yes, they are easier. Have you rollerbladed much? They feel a lot like rollerblading down a decent hill.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I have had ski lessons, but definitely feel I have hit a bit of a plateau. I'm sure it's largely due to the fact that I ski one week a year, usually. Perhaps the same infrequency will make it hard for me to pick up snowboarding. But I just have the sense that my ceiling for improvement with skiing is very limited, and I'm hoping that I'll have a different impression with snowboarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say you suck, and yet you have plateaued with your learning? You can't go fast, don't like steeps or moguls? Do you just not want to ski?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:45 PM

I was a ski mechanic for about 10 years, and did a lot of hand tunes. If you get your ski's tuned make sure you they detune the tips and tails for you, it will make things a bit easier for you (most good shops will keep the edges sharp from tip to tail and you might need to ask them to detune them.) Detuning the tips and tails basically makes it so the skis are 'less grabby' in and out of turns.

Since you don't ski much, my main concern would just be to wax the bases. I good iron wax will replenish the bases, and let you glide much better. Waxing everyday is going over the top, as once a trip should be good enough. If at the end of your trip you find you don't glide all that well, run down to the shop and get a cheap roller wax and you'll be gtg.