Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of your Magic Bullet?
Worth the $$ 33 60.00%
Collecting dust in the attic 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2006, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Lebron James - Best Player in NFL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The comparison to Matt Jones is clearly ludicrous.

Being a receiver is one of the easiest positions to play in any sport. Many very average atheletes can still make a couple catches a game. The point is that many of you are way overvaluing "receiver" skills and not looking at pure physical and athletic superiority.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why isn't he the best reciever in the nfl?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he lacks foot quickness. Its one thing to be able to fly up field in a straight line. Its another to make precise, sharp cuts without having to slow down all that much.

Also, its completely ludicrous to compare Jones to Lebron as an athlete. Lebron's footspeed, agility, and body control are light years ahead of a guy like Jones. Considering his size, Lebron is easily one of the most physically gifted people on the planet. Matt Jones?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:33 AM

btw no one respond to my posts please, i dont want to spend any more time on this thread, it looks like people think that any amazing athlete can play any sport they choose
Old 12-20-2006, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

as dumb as the OP was, the bolded part here is even dumber. No corner in the history of the NFL would be able to jam Lebron at the line of scrimmage, ever. He's big and physical with great lateral quickness and an incredibly explosive first step.

Lebron could probably be limited to 5-10 plays his first game and slowly develop into an every down player over the course of a year or two. I imagine he'd end up being a great run blocker and borderline pro-bowler as receiver.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense but you have no idea what youre talking about. To give an extreme example, give Yao Ming Lebron speed (and lateral quickness) and he would still get jammed up, even though he is big and physical. Leverage is huge in football.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your point is, jamming a wide out at the line is all leverage? a short corner will always be able to jam a tall wideout? is that what you're arguing? seriously?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so your point is, jamming a wide out at the line is all leverage? a short corner will always be able to jam a tall wideout? is that what you're arguing? seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]
no, but it is a part of it

i dunno what you are arguing to be honest, i was responding to the guy that says he can step in right now and dominate, if you believe that yourself you are badly mistaken
Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 AM

I dunno about Lebron.

However, I'd bet Michael Jordan could have turned to baseball (or golf) pretty easily if he had tried.....
Old 12-20-2006, 10:27 AM

Just to point something out, as discussed in the end of this article from today's Boston Globe, Paul Pierce and Daniel Graham, a reasonably athletic TE for the Pats that won the Mackey award for best TE the year Shockey graduated, were messing around on the basketball court. Here's hte relevant info:

"Paul Pierce and Daniel Graham of the Patriots engaged in various shooting games after practice, something set up by the Patriots. Pierce won a game of H-O-R-S-E, finishing with a reverse dunk, something a tad unfair in that Graham can't get up above the rim . But in a game of free-throw shooting, Graham won a best-of-five, prompting Rivers to ask Graham to shoot the next technical foul shot for the Celtics. Pierce even collaborated with Gerald Green on a pass play (a football somehow materialized) and beat Graham on a post pattern " (my emphasis added)
Old 12-20-2006, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno about Lebron.

However, I'd bet Michael Jordan could have turned to baseball (or golf) pretty easily if he had tried.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because golf and WR have similar athleticism/skill balances.

Good post.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM

LeBron's real future will be in NASCAR.

Mark my words.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM

Whats your point? Why would you expect a backup TE to be able to cover Paul Pierce? Graham is 6-3 260, its not a huge shock that he can't dunk. His job is to help push 300 pound guys around and occasionally catch a pass. Why would he have to be good at jumping?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to point something out, as discussed in the end of this article from today's Boston Globe, Paul Pierce and Daniel Graham, a reasonably athletic TE for the Pats that won the Mackey award for best TE the year Shockey graduated, were messing around on the basketball court. Here's hte relevant info:

"Paul Pierce and Daniel Graham of the Patriots engaged in various shooting games after practice, something set up by the Patriots. Pierce won a game of H-O-R-S-E, finishing with a reverse dunk, something a tad unfair in that Graham can't get up above the rim . But in a game of free-throw shooting, Graham won a best-of-five, prompting Rivers to ask Graham to shoot the next technical foul shot for the Celtics. Pierce even collaborated with Gerald Green on a pass play (a football somehow materialized) and beat Graham on a post pattern " (my emphasis added)

[/ QUOTE ]

So a TE can't cover Paul Pierce? Who gives a [censored]? He is a TE not a DB. Not to mention the fact that this sounds suspiciously like it took place on hardwood with sneakers, which would give Pierce a tremendous advantage.