Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Am I the only one that can\'t finish TOP?

I must have given up on reading TOP 5 times now and of course I can't remember a thing I've learned from it for this reason. Does anybody else find this book an extremely difficult read? I've read my other books many times over (SSHE, HGIYLH, HEFAP, The Tao of Poker) but TOP just does not grab me... maybe because I play very little poker outside of Hold Em and the book frequently cites hand examples from other types of poker. I dunno? Is it just me?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Am I the only one that can\'t finish TOP?

It is not an easy book to read. Read it in small steps. And repeat. And repeat. Eventually, the concepts will start to make sense, even with an idiot like me.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:14 PM

if you intend to ONLY play Texas Hold Em, then it can be tough to read cover to cover. I got a lot more out of it once I learned and got into 7CS.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Most of the good and even decent poker books are not easy to read. How fun would it be to take a math textbook home and read it cover to cover? You're not alone. I'll take it a step further though and say that when it comes down to it you'll get out of it what you want. I want to be great player so I make myself put in the work. You need to want it or you'll be able to just put the best poker book written down and watch television.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:19 PM

i read most of the book, except the heads up chapter with the intension of reading it later.

i found the book a very difficult read, it was the 2nd book i read after poker for dummies. before reading it i was only familiar with hold em. reading appendix A several times before reading the rest of the book helped a lot.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:37 PM

I believe this is an advanced book, & for people that have already played a lot of poker (or have an IQ over 140 & understand the basic rules of all the games exampled in the book). I'm on the last chapter after buying it a couple months ago, & reading a chapter or so each night before I went to bed when I wasn't playing poker all night. I intend to reread it until I have a full grasp of every concept, because some of it went over my head/was misunderstood.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I must have given up on reading TOP 5 times now and of course I can't remember a thing I've learned from it for this reason. Does anybody else find this book an extremely difficult read? I've read my other books many times over (SSHE, HGIYLH, HEFAP, The Tao of Poker) but TOP just does not grab me... maybe because I play very little poker outside of Hold Em and the book frequently cites hand examples from other types of poker. I dunno? Is it just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

People say this a lot, but I don't really get it. The first few chapters of TOP were actually what drew me in to poker; I finally could understand exactly how it was a game of skill.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 AM

If you are a newb I'd say it can be very dry and not make much sense. Try reading it after you've played awhile. The concepts are very clear and it solidifies conclusions that you reached on your own but couldn't articulate. I found it also gave me new insight into concepts I hadn't considered.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People say this a lot, but I don't really get it. The first few chapters of TOP were actually what drew me in to poker; I finally could understand exactly how it was a game of skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way. I read a copy I picked up from the library imediately following Play Poker like the Pros and just ate it up. I had barely played poker at all by that point and that is how I found 2+2 and my obsession with poker.

BTW I think that the examples are simple enough that the fact they are in different games still allows for easy translation to understanding the basic concept. I didn't even know how to play stud or raz etc but could still easily understand the examples

Greg
Old 06-22-2006, 11:52 AM

I'm not a newb so it's not that. I think it just delves so deeply into every aspect of each concept that it can be difficult to take in the first time through. Deacsoft really hit the nail on the head. I'll give it another go before WMLHE arrives. Thanks for the replies.