Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: (kind of LC) how to improve mental fortitude?

EDIT:double post
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM

However, I must say I like aejones idea of moving down and playing like a nit.

The weed thing is interesting, but i must say I don't play better when I'm high, I guess ADZ does though lolz.

I grew up meditating twice a day and I feel like my focus is really high when I'm doing that regularly.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM

This summer I got into the habit of walking down to the corner store to get an energy drink every morning before playing.

I think this helped my game a ton. It gave me 15-20 minutes of pretty peaceful mental prep time and helped build up a lil anticipation for the session I knew I was about to have. I think this is way better then just jumping on and firing up a few tables
Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 AM

Good thread.

I tilted today for the first time in ages, but quit after dropping 4 buyins in 20 minutes. I definitely recognize that rush of blood to the brain feeling that seabeast mentioned, I noticed it as soon as I got one pretty brutal beat and then simply lost a flip a few minutes later but ignored it and tried to push things too hard. So, I went to the gym and ran for 1/2 hour, did some weights and stretches then sat in the spa for a while and all the stress and frustration just went away.

I think a healthy lifestyle and diet is pretty essential when it comes to bouncing back mentally from the stress of poker. Ive only recently joined the gym again but have already found it so useful as stress relief. All I need to do now is be disciplined enough to not keep track of how much I am up and down at all times during a session, and be more willing to swallow my pride and take a break if Im feeling frustrated with how things are going.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 AM

get a non-poker related hobby, like maybe playing full ring.

w/r/t yoga: find a studio. it's tough to start out alone with just a book or video. and yes, it really helps.

another thing that's nice is hanging with people who couldn't give a [censored] about poker. you end up talking and thinking about other stuff (lol) and it allows the poker part of your brain some down time to recharge.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:59 AM

someone's probably already mentioned this but....exercise/working out? seems to get me more focused/refreshed before a session.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
weed

[/ QUOTE ]
qft no joke. everything makes sense when youre high! Buy the volcano, set it up right next to your setup. Smoke a bag every hour, profit. You stay focused, and think about things differently(at least I do.) Also, always follow your gut when youre high. You are always right
Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone's probably already mentioned this but....exercise/working out? seems to get me more focused/refreshed before a session.

[/ QUOTE ]

this too. its good stress relief.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 PM

1. don't talk in the chat
2. don't brag about your results (that might cause you want to do extra well)
3. set goals for the week/month
4. have a healthy social life...a lady friend of some sort etc
5. find a way to remind yourself of the long run
6. don't compare yourself to other people and don't base your self-esteem on your short term results.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:44 PM

Going back to Morreks post one of the simplest forms of meditation is mindfull breathing.

1.) Find a quiet place free from noise and distractions, nature sounds like birds chirping and running water is ok and helps set the bood.

2.) Sit down in a chair, or on the floor/ground cross legged keeping a good comfortable posture.

3.) Breathe... feel your breath going in and out, and your chest rising and settling as you calmly inhale and exhale. Be mindfull only of your breathing Your mind will want to wander, gently bring it back to focusing on just breathing. Your body will try to distract you... an itch on the nose perhaps... ignore it, it will pass. Do not breathe any deeper than you normally do.

4.) Do this for 15 to 20 minutes, if your watch has a countdown timer use it. But when it goes off do not jump to turn it off. Slowly open your eyes and taken in your environment, don't just jump up and go about your day, just take it easy, don't be in a hurry, and bring the mindfull calmness with you in everything you do.

It will have profound effects your productivity and mental state.

Rigga