Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 11:40 PM

Default QQ hand as big stack - please comment

Okay, so I'm big stack with 38 left of 1300 starting on the $11 MTT.

Villian is new to the table, no reads.

Preflop I raised standard, then his reraise stares me in the face. Call and evaluate the flop? Or get the money in? I know this may seem elementary, but I'm trying to re-evaluate everything in my game.

Comments appreciated:

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t1500/t3000
(Ante: t150)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
l33twingman: t145589
UTG+1: t68336
MP1: t14664
MP2: t125452
MP3: t1116
CO: t44402
Button: t19575
SB: t20710
BB: t28677

Pre-flop: (9 players) l33twingman is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">l33twingman raises to t9000</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to t30000</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 calls all-in t966</font>, 4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">l33twingman ... </font>
Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: QQ hand as big stack - please comment

Tough call, but I'd be inclinded to go all in here. I'd guess MP2 has either AK or a medium pair. I'd say with a raise of that size that he's not wanting his hand to be called. If he's on AA or KK, he'd probably raise by a much smaller amount and would be begging you of all people to get in the hand with him based on your chip count. How'd it end up playing out?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 AM

hrmmm, I'm all in, his range has to be at least TT+,AQ+, possibly larger, 1 raise just isn't enough for me to believe he has AA or KK.
Cheers!
John
Old 06-20-2006, 02:47 AM

The fact that villain is reraising another big stack narrows his range IMO. I smoothcall and evaluate on the flop. I may still fold if no A or K comes either, based on villain's action.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:13 AM

This is really a much tougher hand than being given credit for. Hero and Villain both have 40+xbb, and Villain is reraising Hero's UTG raise.

I think any reads at all on Villain might help, but only if you could tell me that he sucks. And you didn't. So there's no reason to assume he would do something like reraise a "middle pair" here or "raise by a much smaller amount" with AA/KK.

I'd put Villain's range as JJ+AK, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with any flop that doesn't have a Q in it. And I'd probably go broke on any flop without an A or K in it either.

So my answer is, I don't have an answer.

I'm calling here and getting in on like 80% of flops - but this is really the spot that kills me.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:46 AM

Glad to hear this one wasn't easy for some people. I was really torn between call and evaluate the flop and pushing. I thought that a fold here would be weird with QQ preflop.

Hero pushed, villian used all of his time bank and called with KK. An ace did flop. 2 hands later hero is out.

Not really posting this because I lost the hand, just finding this a tough spot and not sure how to play it.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:23 AM

Curious, does ANYONE find a fold preflop?

Also, does ANYONE find a call, flop comes 3 under QQ and fold?

Bet 1/2 pot and fold to push on flop?

How about betting an AXX flop?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 AM

I would call and hope for the Quenn. If no quen comes it`s a hard decision
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 AM

I believe calling is the better option. I think a standard re-raise range is JJ+ &amp; AK. Of this range, I believe that AK &amp; possibly JJ re-raise AI. I'm calling here &amp; getting AI with no A or K on the flop, and prolly checking a scary flop with the intention of c/r AI a probe bet or pushing the turn if checked through.

There is no way you can lay down QQ in this situation. Neither of you are deep enough to not play premium hands aggressively. You made him decide for his tourney life &amp; he made the correct big call. Tough break, but not getting AI is a bigger problem.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:58 AM

If the flop is something like JTx, and my opponent is still coming strong at me, given the range he's probably on (TT+, AQ+, and I'm not really sure about AQ), I'm behind a lot of his hands, and probably fold and keep my 90K (still 30BB). The other interesting thing to note is that a lot of his range is a PP, which you can push him off when an ace flops.

You've got 115k behind, opponent has 90k behind. If you stick out a bet of 30k on an ace flop, it gets hard for him to call off 1/3 his stack if he doesn't have the ace. You need to win the pot 1 out of 3 times for this move to be correct. I think you're up against a PP that you can get to fold much more than 1/3 of the time. If you get called, you have 85k, still slightly less than 30BB, and you can forget about the pot.