Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Leeching neighbor\'s WIFI for disconnect protection

I live in a suburban area where there are not many houses very close together. There is only one open WIFI router that my computer can detect, but the signal is very weak and sometimes doesn't show up at all. When I try to connect to the router, it is so slow that I can't really do anything, although I was able to determine that somehow they have verizon DSL, when it is not available for me. I have two cable modems, but they are both from the same company, so when one goes down, they both go down. I need some type of backup, but I can't find any other ISP besides dialup that is available. I normally 8 or 10 table SNGs, so disconnections are extremely costly. Even though I play relatively low stakes, a ten minute disconnection last night cost me over $200.

Is there some way I can boost my connection strength with my neighbor's router, preferably something that I could do without involvement on their part? Are there more powerful antennas or signal amplifiers that will help?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Leeching neighbor\'s WIFI for disconnect protection

2 cable modems which don't back each other up since they go down together? What for?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 PM

How can you not have DSL service but be within range of someone else's? That doesn't make any sense. It sounds like you need to harass Verizon.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 AM

I have the two cable modems because I need the two separate connections, not for backup purposes.

I have no idea why I can't get DSL. They tell me you need to be within 18000 feet of the central office, and according to google maps I'm only 3.0 miles away. I don't know much about DSL, but from what I understand the signal strength gets lower the farther you are away from the office, but does it become totally unusable if you're slightly too far away, or does the signal drop off more slowly? I'd be willing to pay for it even if the connection quality is lower than they would normally sell, but I don't think they will even hook it up. I think a broadband wireless card is my only other option, but that is like $80/mo, plus $100+ for the card, with a 2yr contract required, when I only need it for maybe one hour a month to finish up sessions when my cable goes out. I really need a backup connection, but that is a lot of money for something I'll hardly ever use. So back to my original question, does anyone have ideas about how I can boost my connectivity to my neighbor's router?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 AM

Is there a legitimate reason to have two IP addresses for playing on-line poker?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 AM

It's nothing to do with poker.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:44 PM

Don't you need a network ID and password to get onto a wireless router? Did you hack it?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:56 PM

No one secures their router. It is named Linksys and I'm sure the l/p is still admin/admin anyway.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Ok let me throw this out there....my feeling on open unsecured Wi-Fi is, if you are leaving it open and push your signal out in the open air, it's ok for me to use it. It's not like you are hacking his secured router or that you have to actually go onto his property to get the signal. That being said, the courts may or may not agree with this...there will have to be some major court rulings to set a precedent for this. Right now it isn't looking good.

That all being said, if a person is ignorant enough(ie: not informed) to not secure his wireless connection if he doesn't want other people using it than he probably isn't smart enough to capture the traffic flowing across his connection to find out who you are and see what you're doing.

If you wanted to dive into this gray area and assume it was safe and legal, yes there is probably some pretty easy ways to try and grab ahold of his signal at a much better quality than it currently is at your house now. One easy way would be to buy something like this.... NewEgg Link There are tons of different wireless adapters like that, which will help hone in on those distant signals. Heck I've even seen plans online to build things like that very cheaply.

The point is, yes it can probably be done. Whether you do it or not is up to you.

As for Verizon not being available, give them a call and make them tell you why. Explain that you talked to your neighbor down the road and he's got it. But yes you are correct that you can only be so many feet from the remote terminal because the quality starts dropping off and then becomes unusable.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:11 AM

Explain to me your current situation. Do you currenty have NO internet service and you only use your neighbor's, or do you have dial up and want to increase the strength of your neighbor's signal for a backup?