Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Default I hate getting run over in the BB

Villain is a typical LAGTAG.

Villain raises on the button, hero calls in BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets flop, hero calls. Am I correct to peel here?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: I hate getting run over in the BB

He could steal here with a very big range of hands such as 22+, Ax, Kx, Q5o+, J7+ and so on. If you think that is the case just go ahead and reraise preflop and donk the flop nomatter what.

You call the flop and now you do not hit and is in a hard situation. We may be ahead or way behind. I wouldn't checkraise a bluff here then it was better to pop preflop. We don't have odds to call if we are behind and don't know what to do even if we hit turn. If we do we can bet and villain will have an easy fold if he is behind.

Next time fire back at him and then he will face the difficult decision. So fold the flop.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:06 PM

In this particular situation, check/raising with nothing will usually be better than calling with nothing. Of course, if this villain calls your flop check/raise on this specific board you probably should check/fold the turn.

Why I like check/raise better than check/call: By check/raising the flop you will usually be able to win all those pots that you actually have the best hand. Check/calling just leaves us a turn bet away from folding the winner in this scenario. Check/raising also allows us the chance to get a better hand to fold like Kx or QJ or possibly 22/33, and if your image is pretty good and he knows how to fold sometimes, maybe even 55-88s. Check/calling the flop gives us no chance of winning the pot in this manner unless youre planning on bluffing the river if the villain checks the turn which can also be a good play in certain spots.

I wont entertain the merits of just check/folding the flop cuz what fun is that? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I will say this much though. Whether C/F is better than C/R is really a simple math problem based on some fairly reliable assumptions. Just put him on a range, then figure out what % of hands he'll fold the flop to a C/R and see if this strategy beats out C/F. Things get a little complicated if you have to bet the turn with nothing, and sometimes the river, but on this exact board I dont think you should bluff beyond the flop unless you have a read that the villain is calling your flop check/raise with any 2 cards.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM

If I were in Villain's spot, I would be tempted to peel with my unpaired broadway hands because many people won't c/r Ax on the flop here. Is that bad?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I correct to peel here?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a standard line? NO NO NO

As an occasional mixing it up? Sure, just have a plan!

As others have said, a c/r is probably best if you wish to take a stab. If you c/r, bet the turn and give up or fire on the river depending on your read (trust it!).

Thinking about the following questions to help you consider how best to get out of line in these spots:

What does villian perceive your range to be when you call? c/r?
How will villian play different hands from here on out if you call? c/r?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were in Villain's spot, I would be tempted to peel with my unpaired broadway hands because many people won't c/r Ax on the flop here. Is that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. But I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM

Of course a lot of his range missed here, but that doesn't mean we take down the pot. The problem is if he has a propensity to peel and/or rebluff then cr becomes an expensive way to not even get to the river.

C/c is ok if he reads hands AND doesn't give us credit for being able to fold weak hands.

But in the end I see we have about 30% equity and crappy RIOs so I'd usually just c/f. Not sure if that's giving up too much.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:47 PM

I'll c/r this after villain and I have established some kind of relationship in these battles. First I need him to feel that I'm the better player, and I'm c/r'ing some made hands. Then it all gets a lot easier.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:46 PM

I will hardly ever (if ever) ch/r an ace here so me check raising on this flop means a 9, 4, or complete air. Any good lagtag should peel with any 2 cards higher than 9. I hardly ever see a bet/fold here so I end up just ch/f. If you get more of a weak tight opponent, I like to sometimes ch/r with air.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a typical LAGTAG.

Villain raises on the button, hero calls in BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets flop, hero calls. Am I correct to peel here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say calling is the worst option. Raising is okay but it helps a lot if you know if he'll fold the flop. Some donks call the flop no matter what cause they don't want to seem weak folding for one more bet on the flop when they've already put one in. Then you also have to bluff/smb the turn so it's more expensive. Without a read it's very tough to say but at least throwing in the odd raise in this situation is good.