Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 AM

Default this is how scared i am of flopping hands like this. Should i be?

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($14.50)</font>
UTG ($2)
UTG+1 ($6.60)
MP1 ($3.35)
MP2 ($7.35)
MP3 ($3.75)
CO ($8)
Button ($8.10)
SB ($7.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.45) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.4</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14.4 (All-In)</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $15.65

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins $15.65. </font>

After this hand 2 things came to mind. My god i just payed a [censored] of rake on this hand. 2nd thing is i was afraid he had the other Q with a better kicker and if he did he would have called and i would have had 3 outs for my 4. He'd have to fold all other hands he could have been re-raising with. Is their a cure for this cause even though i know this is a terrible play that if i keep doing it i WILL lose my money i'm sure i will do this. I guess i play scared a lot and would prefer not to.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: this is how scared i am of flopping hands like this. Should i be?

[ QUOTE ]
After this hand 2 things came to mind. My god i just payed a [censored] of rake on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't pay any rake on uncalled bets (the $14.10) - so no worries.

[ QUOTE ]
2nd thing is i was afraid he had the other Q with a better kicker and if he did he would have called and i would have had 3 outs for my 4. He'd have to fold all other hands he could have been re-raising with. Is their a cure for this cause even though i know this is a terrible play that if i keep doing it i WILL lose my money i'm sure i will do this. I guess i play scared a lot and would prefer not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your play is pretty bad because you lose value. Your basically only going to get called by 33, a better Qx, KK, or AA unless he is an uber donk (quit possible at 10NL) or your image is that of a push bluffer. He is probably going to fold any other hand including some that he would pay off a moderate amount with (spade draws and pairs). A raise to 2.8 or so seems appropriate and sets up the stacks nicely for later streets.

A cure? Take 10-15 seconds when you have decision like this and think about the correct amount to bet (or whether to check or fold). I'm guessing you jammed without really thinking about it.

Lucky
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 AM

i pushed so quick after the re-raise that i didn't think about it, and i didn't think about the fact that i didn't think before i pushed and if i had of thought i would not have done it... hopefully you have just fixed a big hole in my game. If it turns me into a huge winner i'll b sure to send u a cut of the profit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Try this...long ago when I was first learning, I would catch myself doing the same thing sometimes. What I started doing was counting to 8 anytime the action was on me...even if I knew what I was going to do. Once I got in the habit of taking the same amount (roughly) to act opponents have less to use to make a decision on. (plus every now and then you can switch it up with the fast move as a bluff against the right player).

D_D