FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather?
Give up oral sex forever. 26 27.37%
Give up cheese forever. 69 72.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: How many tee boxes?

Two quick comments on tees/course length -

1. Length is meaningless unless you specify what area of the country/world you are talking about. I play in the Pacific Northwest and Arizona. 6600-6700 yds is long for the Northwest, 6800-6900 is not for Arizona. The same is true when people comment on how far they hit their driver/irons. The real number is carry not carry and roll.

2. Much worse than too many/few tee boxes on resort courses to me is the common practice of not puting the tee markers to the full yardage. I dont know how many times we have selected tees based on the stated yardage only to find that they put these tees much shorter, particularly on the difficult holes. I know that resort courses want to speed up play but it would be easier to select a shorter set of tees if they actually gave you the advertised distance.

Wally
Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two quick comments on tees/course length -

1. Length is meaningless unless you specify what area of the country/world you are talking about. I play in the Pacific Northwest and Arizona. 6600-6700 yds is long for the Northwest, 6800-6900 is not for Arizona. The same is true when people comment on how far they hit their driver/irons. The real number is carry not carry and roll.
Wally

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a really good point. 6600 yards is a monster course in western PA.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Yeah, I guess it is different depending mostly on elevation. 6900-7000 is a long course for Michigan, not so much for Colorado.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess it is different depending mostly on elevation. 6900-7000 is a long course for Michigan, not so much for Colorado.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point. Because of the low humidity and high elevation in Phoenix (most people don't realize it's like 1200 feet above sea level here) the ball tends to go quite a ways. When I make my semi-annual pilgrimage back to Iowa I get humbled and keep coming up short until I remember it's almost a club difference.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point. Because of the low humidity and high elevation in Phoenix (most people don't realize it's like 1200 feet above sea level here) the ball tends to go quite a ways. When I make my semi-annual pilgrimage back to Iowa I get humbled and keep coming up short until I remember it's almost a club difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add the undulating fairways (read: Hills) to that equation. There is no chase here.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. I play the tips no matter where I go, but 7000 in Vegas in 110 heat definitely plays like 6500 or less on the east coast--I can usually hit iron off the tee and a wedge in 2/3 of the time on a 7000 yarder in the southwest, but 7000+ on the east coast makes me use every club in the bag.

I think naming them is important too to get people to play the right tees. Moreso than everyone playing the 2nd from back tees, which is true, a lot of golfers (my father included) say "I always play the whites," regardless of where the whites are.

My local munis go Red/Gold/White/Blue for Ladies/Seniors/Men/Champ. I keep telling them to change it to Red/White/Blue/Gold as Ladies/Seniors and Men/Good Men/Champ, and people will end up playing the proper tee more often while maintaining their fragile ego.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 PM

are there men that play from the ladies tees ever?