Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Negreanu > ADZ ? He thinks so..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you take a step back and look at this from Daniels perspective you can definitely see why he's getting so defensive. He has had some excellent results live, is widely regarded by the 'non-online' community as one of the best in the world. Therefore when he reads forums like this where he is considered a huge underdog to the top online players and sometimes berated you can clearly see why he's tilted and talking smack.

With that being said, and I'm trying to be objective here, he is oblivious to how good the best online players are and how tough it is in these games. The effort that these players make to become better players by playing millions of hands, posting thousands of posts while making range/odds calculations is something that is inconceivable to a player who has played live all his life (often other games than NLHE). Also for a person that plays 20 hands an hour it's difficult to grasp that the true variance of the game can make you lose for dozens of thousands of hands when being a favourite at the table (especially true at heads up).

There's no doubt in my mind that the absolute majority of the best NLHE players in the world are mainly online experts. I wish that someday when I'll watch tv and hear about the best players in the world this fact will be acknowledged.

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent post. A++.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM

I don't think ADZ would have a great chance over time against daniel. Not saying ADZ is bad, Daniel is just a great player.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you take a step back and look at this from Daniels perspective you can definitely see why he's getting so defensive. He has had some excellent results live, is widely regarded by the 'non-online' community as one of the best in the world. Therefore when he reads forums like this where he is considered a huge underdog to the top online players and sometimes berated you can clearly see why he's tilted and talking smack.

[/ QUOTE ]

And therein lies the problem.

He refuses to believe anything other than he's the best in the world at every table he sits, live/online/PLO/NLHE/LHE, whatever. Some consider that a positive virtue, but, for most it ends up being foolishly bold.

I don't think there's any shame in tipping your hat and saying, "No, he's just better than me."

I doubt very much you ever see Negreanu say anything like that.

Nice post.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:11 PM

DN killing the table currently wtf with Adz sitting out
Old 09-10-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He refuses to believe anything other than he's the best in the world at every table he sits, live/online/PLO/NLHE/LHE, whatever. Some consider that a positive virtue, but, for most it ends up being foolishly bold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel didnt continue to play FLHE HU vs Patrick because he thought he was better. In his own words, he continued to play because Patrick was so much better than DN was learning so much from playing against him. So he can definately be very humble about his own skills as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM

ADZ is fairly tight and straightforward HU so its no surprise DN thinks that
Old 09-10-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel didnt continue to play FLHE HU vs Patrick because he thought he was better. In his own words, he continued to play because Patrick was so much better than DN was learning so much from playing against him. So he can definately be very humble about his own skills as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you point that out, as, on his site he *just* posted..

[ QUOTE ]
I lost to Patrick in a realitively small sample playing limit hold'em because A) he was very good, B) he was more comfortable online, and C) He ran insanely lucky!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With that being said, and I'm trying to be objective here, he is oblivious to how good the best online players are and how tough it is in these games. The effort that these players make to become better players by playing millions of hands, posting thousands of posts while making range/odds calculations is something that is inconceivable to a player who has played live all his life (often other games than NLHE). Also for a person that plays 20 hands an hour it's difficult to grasp that the true variance of the game can make you lose for dozens of thousands of hands when being a favourite at the table (especially true at heads up).

There's no doubt in my mind that the absolute majority of the best NLHE players in the world are mainly online experts. I wish that someday when I'll watch tv and hear about the best players in the world this fact will be acknowledged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poster is banned for being too good for NVG.

Seriously- this is a good post.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DN killing the table currently wtf with Adz sitting out

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah he has 24k. What a bloodbath.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM

i serieusly think DN is very capable of beating the current online pro's on PS.

I've seen him play the 10k HU maches and completely owning his opponents i think he had much more left that day and was able to make very strong moves thinking some levels deeper.

The only problem should be his tilting, but when he play's his A game they have a dangerous opponent.

nice to see the game going on now !