Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Blind defense scenario that comes up fairly often

Unknown villain, anyone fold preflop or not get aggro on the flop?

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Plan is to bet a safe turn which is a card 9 or lower, do you calldown a raise? What is your play on bad turn cards like T, Q, K and A?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Blind defense scenario that comes up fairly often

i would fold PF. flop is good, bet T-, fold to a raise as standard play. i might bet a K/Q (or c/c), but i would generally c/f an A.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 AM

Preflop I want 98o or 76s to call, and 27o's post-flop plan sounds good to me.

Scott
Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 AM

I pretty much always bet/fold all turns after my flop check-raise in these spots. Given a read or some meta-game factor I can adjust this line with less than top pair to showdown but that doesnt come up too too often (mostly just vs the type of villains/maniacs u cant bloat the pot against and not showdown or if my table image is horrendous and I know certain people are taking shots at me).

what is the best default line in these spots vs an unknown on different turn cards? how about vs a tag/lag or lap? How about the river line after called on various turn cards given different river card?

good stuff
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plan is to bet a safe turn which is a card 9 or lower, do you calldown a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hell no.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your play on bad turn cards like T, Q, K and A?

[/ QUOTE ]
C/F
Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 AM

PF I fold cause he's unknown. This is a very tough hand to play OOP against an unknown. Flop play is good and I'm betting every turn, except an Ace.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your play on bad turn cards like T , Q , K and A?

[/ QUOTE ]

C/F

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way too weak IMO.

BTW I fold preflop as well.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 PM

I will add my voice to the fold pre-flop consensus. FLop looks fine. I am betting most turns, but not an Ace (check-fold).
Old 01-19-2007, 12:55 PM

Hey sharpie,

This spot is awesome. My line here really depends on how the games are playing out. I would tell you I fold pf but I'm a man of my word on friday.

One line I take is check/call, check/call, check/fold. I would say donk the river but I'm not doing that. These guys will bet ace hi 2 streets pretty much always but not the river. That usually seems like a time to quit.

Check/call, check/call, donk if the game seems good.

Check/raise, check/call, check/fold is a cool one too. I know it makes no sense but anyone with a sense of the game would say to themselves "well he has a draw or he is calling here" And they check behind with hands as strong as KJ at times. The reason why this line is cool is because if it goes check/raise, check/check, you can donk and pretty much always get 1 bet form a worse hand.

These are pretty much the lines I take if I'm not comfortable bet/folding the turn.

But in this hand I would check/raise and then bet. I probably fold the turn to a raise if it's an A or K. I honestly can't see him raising a Q. He would need AQ or KQ but also with a Q and a J on the board people play weird.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/raise, check/call, check/fold is a cool one too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate that you did give a detailed rationale for this line, but it still doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. I think this line gives even a semi-thinking player too much opportunity to exploit us by taking free cards when they ned to and value-betting when they like. Alos, while you may get calls from Ace-high hands that missed on the end when the turn checks-through, there are some other no pair hands (e.g., KTs, QTs) that may not call so giving them a free look at the river with our vulnerable hand without collecting a bet when they miss kind of sucks.