Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 PM

Default I hope this one is harder!

6 max $600 online tourney. Only 32 runners, 3 spots pay.

Its about half way through. I just lost a few pots.

Blinds 100-200

I raise utg+1 with qq. i've got about 2500. next dude has 5200 and cold calls. he's a 22/16 type, decent player.

bb calls with 5k behind. he's ok no big read.

flop is AKJr. BB checks to me I _____________?

I've got about 1900 and pot is about 1900.

Let's say I check, and its checked around.

Turn is checked to me, I ____________?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: I hope this one is harder!

you're almost never ahead here, the best would be if someone has K-Q and you were able to convince them you had an Ace by pushing.

check it down and hope that they all had under pairs and yours is the biggest.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM

I I would make a continuation bet of 500. I think it will pick up the pot often enough. That flop is very scary for them. If you get re-raise, you fold it and you are gonna be on the short stack and will be looking to make a move. If you get flat called, then I shove anything on the turn.

I disagree 100% with the other poster. If you try and check it down, someone is going to take a stab at it on the turn or river. You raised preflop, big cards......you bet. The worst thing you can do is check the flop and the turn and then face a bet of 800 on the river.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:43 PM

I push this, particularly in a $600 tournament. You have 6 outs, which are likely good against one caller. Maybe everyone has pps or you can fold a K.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=2058549
pokenum -h qs qd - as jd -- ad kh jc
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Jc Ad Kh
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Qs Qd 221 22.32 761 76.87 8 0.81 0.227
As Jd 761 76.87 221 22.32 8 0.81 0.773

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=2058554
pokenum -h qs qd - js jd -- ad kh jc
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing Jc Ad Kh
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Qs Qd 211 21.31 771 77.88 8 0.81 0.217
Js Jd 771 77.88 211 21.31 8 0.81 0.783
Old 09-04-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I I would make a continuation bet of 500. I think it will pick up the pot often enough. That flop is very scary for them. If you get re-raise, you fold it and you are gonna be on the short stack and will be looking to make a move. If you get flat called, then I shove anything on the turn.

I disagree 100% with the other poster. If you try and check it down, someone is going to take a stab at it on the turn or river. You raised preflop, big cards......you bet. The worst thing you can do is check the flop and the turn and then face a bet of 800 on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pushing is better than beting 1/4 pot and folding. Once you put more money in, you pretty much have odds to call if you are behind.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 PM

push are you crazy?

the only thing you accomplish by pushing is not having a weaker hand bluff you out of the pot. if you check it down you beat smaller pps anyways.

you want to push a weak hand into a couple of big stacks that can afford to call if they have a King???

That is completely nuts.

There are better spots to get the rest of your money in, in this tournament than here
Old 09-04-2006, 07:09 PM

okay we raised preflop, THEY called preflop. 2 opponents what do you think the chances are one of them has an Ace or King when they called our preflop raise.

I'd be very surprised if we are ahead, if your sole object is to bluff them out of the pot we might as well have 3-2o.

Heck we're behind Jacks, I don't see how you can put your tournament life on the line in this spot. When you can get away from this hand and get your money in with a better spot later in the tournament.

Also is this how you play QQ all the time? For me the goal with QQ is to lose as little as I can with an Ace or K on the flop, in a ring game I make a 2/3 pot bet on the flop and hope to take it down. However that cripples us in this tournament, it's all in or check/fold. Just an Ace or just a King ok maybe, against one opponent ok maybe. With an Ace and King on the flop with 2 opponents, what are you thinking pushing?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay we raised preflop, THEY called preflop. 2 opponents what do you think the chances are one of them has an Ace or King when they called our preflop raise.

I'd be very surprised if we are ahead, if your sole object is to bluff them out of the pot we might as well have 3-2o.

Heck we're behind Jacks, I don't see how you can put your tournament life on the line in this spot. When you can get away from this hand and get your money in with a better spot later in the tournament.

Also is this how you play QQ all the time? For me the goal with QQ is to lose as little as I can with an Ace or K on the flop, in a ring game I make a 2/3 pot bet on the flop and hope to take it down. However that cripples us in this tournament, it's all in or check/fold. Just an Ace or just a King ok maybe, against one opponent ok maybe. With an Ace and King on the flop with 2 opponents, what are you thinking pushing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you notice that a Q makes a set and a T makes a straight. Also, you are getting 2-1 pot odds against one opponent.

This is a $600 tournament, so people are more like to call with pps than aces or kings.

Even if you are ahead, it is unlikely this will be checked down to the river. Also, if you are ahead, there some chance that one of two players will draw out by the river.

At this point, you are pretty much pot committed, so push and hope you are ahead, a king folds, or you can suck out.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:59 PM

check-fold on all streets.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:05 PM

of course I noticed a Q makes a set and a 10 makes a straight, that is 6 outs 24% chance to happen, so that doesn't justify 2-1 pot odds

Also I don't care that it doesn't get checked down to the river, my goal here is not to win this pot, that'd be nice, but my goal is to keep my tournament life alive and find a better spot to double up later.

You have a valid point about PPs calling more often in a $600 tournament, but I still think there is a very decent chance we are behind and I doubt if we push a King folds for the very reason you said PPs are more likely to call. It just seems like there will be a better spot later if we stay more patient