Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: I hope this one is harder!

[ QUOTE ]
This is a $600 tournament, so people are more like to call with pps than aces or kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think they feel that they would be getting the odds to call, chasing a set? I don't think so.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:10 PM

check

then fold

aka check/fold.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM

thanks for all the opinions so far. i agree the flop is a check and i did check.

after its checked around and 1 out of two opponents checks the turn i dont think the proper turn play is at all clear-at least not to me?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're almost never ahead here, the best would be if someone has K-Q and you were able to convince them you had an Ace by pushing.

check it down and hope that they all had under pairs and yours is the biggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does it get checked down all the way 3 handed?
If you shove this and it is folded 50% of the time, then it is profitable. I don't like a shove, I like a bet of 500 and then proceed from there.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you're almost never ahead here, the best would be if someone has K-Q and you were able to convince them you had an Ace by pushing.

check it down and hope that they all had under pairs and yours is the biggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does it get checked down all the way 3 handed?
If you shove this and it is folded 50% of the time, then it is profitable. I don't like a shove, I like a bet of 500 and then proceed from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you push and win the pot, you gain 1900 chips. If you pauh and get called, by one player, you have about an 18% chance of winning the hand. 1900 - .18 x 5700 = 870. So if you get everyone to fold 35% of the time it is profitable compared to folding. Now you probably have some positive expectation by checking, so you may need more like 45% folds for pushing to be better than checking. So it is may be close between pushing and checking.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 PM

paul if they called with a PP it would be because they believe you are bluffing and they are ahead
Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
paul if they called with a PP it would be because they believe you are bluffing and they are ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think our hero is known for stealing UTG. but maybe i'm wrong.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 PM

pretty sure a push is profitable here, so unless these guys are never going to bluff/take a stab at the pot (which could be true i guess) then that should be better than check/folding.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:28 PM

I pushed the turn and they folded.

I was really confused about what to do on the turn and didn't have a great thought other than the following:

1. they've showed weakness 3 times, the first dude is the more likely one to have the ace, at least in the following sense: he might have checked to me trying to check raise.

2. if i check, nothing seems to get checked around 3 times in these tourneys, and often not two times.

3. its possible they think i am slowplaying a monster and may well fold a kq type hand

the thing i don't know is if they will ever fold weak aces, and i still don't know if i think a check or a push is better here.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:47 PM

Preflop you can push, especially if you've pushed recently and you think someone is ready to look you up. If the players in the blinds are the kind who will call your push with 88 and 99, then pushing here with QQ is quite attractive.

Notice that since this is a six-max tourney, OP is in late position, not early.

On the flop I like the check.

As for the play on the turn, I disagree with everyone who has posted so far. First, one poster said "you're almost never ahead here". But the player in the big blind has now checked both the flop and the turn; there's no reason to believe he has an ace. The third player called the preflop raise, then checked the ace-high flop. He might have an ace, and he might have KQ, but it seems more likely that he has a pocket pair, maybe 99 or TT, maybe even smaller.

The best play on the turn, in my view, is to check with the intention of calling the third player's bet as long as the BB folds.

Check-folding the turn is a mistake because even when the third guy bets, there is less than a 50% chance he has us beat. He will often bet his 99 on that board when the flop is checked around and the turn is checked to him.

Betting the turn will make the opponents fold their medium pocket pairs, but they will very likely call with any ace. (Given the action, the BB is more likely to have an ace. If he called preflop with A7s or whatever, he easily might check the flop and turn but the amount we have left in our stack is not enough to get him to fold top pair heads up.) What if someone has a king? Well, since it was raised preflop, if they have a king it's probably KQ, KJ, or KT. They obviously aren't folding KJ (two pair), and they may or may not fold KQ or KT to our all-in. From their perspective, it may well look like we are bluffing so that their king is best, and if not they have up to nine outs with middle pair+gutshot.

So checking and calling the third player's bet tends to be the best play. Granted it may lead to a tough decision on the river, but still it is better than all-in on the turn and much better than check-folding the turn.