Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:15 AM

Default How to beat those who call c-bets with like J-high in raise pots

Do i like stop c-betting cause it pretty much doesnt help. They chase qutshots in raised pots and its impossible to put them on a hand. Some even play top pair at the same way. When im getting good cards, its so easy. I just put in the price and they will call. But what if i become card dead. I flop like medium pairs or so. Do i start to bet them. I play [censored] blind the whole time and i dont like it. Or do i just wait for example top pair and then fullpot. How about preflop play. Raising doesnt put any pressure on them so do i minraise or three-bet. Three-bet becomes very expensive long term when im card dead so WHAT RANGE OF HANDS DO U RAISE AGAINST THESE DONKS AND HOW MUCH.

Also. Does it even help to show good hands if they fold every once in a while. I never feel comfortable playing against these guys. They take the thrill of poker away and make it very boring. If i like flop a top pair, what the best way to extract maximium value. Is it fullpotting or what? And also the preflop play question? And what range of hands im i raising and how much preflop. How much to bet according to the pot size with a good hand when sure i have the sweets. Fullpotting many times drives them away. But still i think that river bluff with betting any amount is a no-brainer against these guys. Also raising draws etc.

Sometimes when i get aces, kings, queens, i raise like 200 at 15/30 and they vill instacall. That's just for testing and having fun.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: How to beat those who call c-bets with like J-high in raise pots

i dont know if its just me but i dont raise much against these guys.

Im calling with QJ+ Ax because i want to see a flop with these hands.
I raise with JJ+ because these maniacs are ready to go broke with QJ often.

But you are right, if you dont get cards they are hard to play.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 AM

If you flop middle pair and they really call with such a wide range of hands, then sure, valuebet it. But try not to make pot too big. I guess i would bet half the pot on the turn and maybe a little more than third of the pot on the river.

(unless middle pair was low and I had a really bad kicker and/or scare enough cards come)
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 PM

You are never playing blind. Why is it so hard to put these guys on a range? If they are calling stations pf, and on the flop. You VALUE BET THEM TO DEATH. If they are chasing gutshots on the turn you should be in heaven and value betting any piece.

Guys calling with J high in raised pots are players you should be dying to play. The problem is you aren't adjusting. You can't run over calling stations. Slamming in extra bets when you are behind and there is ZERO chance they will fold is a mistake. So stop making it. Overplaying your weaker hands makes their play correct. Good old fashioned ABC poker works fine against these guys, it might be boring but spewing chips is wrong.

You are looking for spots to value bet, and using your superior hand reading skills to know when to get the money in. See some showdowns, apply systematic pressure, evaluate their response. Everyone has thresholds you just aren't looking for them. Quit spewing. There is no autopilot for NL HU. You'll discover they can fold on the turn, and if they won't fold the turn or river when behind the match will be done quickly.

If playing them tilts you, you really don't lose much value by flipping with them or trying to get it in with a very slight edge. It might save you 35 minutes of grinding and increase your hourly. Or open up a second or third table so you can play solid without getting bored.

-- 'Move up to where they respect your raises'
Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM

move up to where they respect your raises

id limp a lot more often with this type of player than a standard tag
Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM

For future reference, the term threebet is not equal to 3x the BB raise. In preflop terms, it means reraising an initial raiser (I spotted this right away in your post because I used to think this too).