Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Losing the passion

Hi
I've played roughly 2k+ HUSNG's in this year, however, in recent weeks, i feel that i have been losing the passion to play. I don't know why but having two or three break even or losing days really gets to me when it didn't a few months back. I start to question my own ability and then end up playing subpar.
Has any1 also faced this problem? Would like to know how u got yrself out of it and how u guys mantain yr focus.

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Losing the passion

Perhaps try HU cash. Just mixing it up for a change can be refreshing.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM

play some non heads up. heads up is really draining, you cant just keep folding and take a 5 minute break.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps try HU cash. Just mixing it up for a change can be refreshing.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
play some non heads up. heads up is really draining, you cant just keep folding and take a 5 minute break.

[/ QUOTE ]
^^^ Do both. It'll be refreshing. However, once I gave HU cash a try, it became my new obsession and now I can't imagine myself playing donkaments again.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
heads up is really draining, you cant just keep folding and take a 5 minute break.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. I thought i was the only one who felt drained after losing 3 races in a row when played near perfect the whole match. Thanks for the reassurance. Will look into heads up cash for sure.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 PM

I do lose the passion also. Basically I take a few days off then Im back to it again and hungry. At some point, you will have to view poker like any other job, because at the end of the day that's exactly what it is to be honest.

Passion, glamour, etc etc is not really what poker is about. its basically a grind like any other job.

Indy
Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 PM

mixing up your play is good in those spots where you have lost your motivation.
Play some "normal" SnGs, just try something else.

U might also think of sth. nice you want to buy and think of buying it with your poker money.

This is something that really motivates me to play again.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Try a different card game like gin rummy or spades and then come back after you regain the passion .

I think it's very important for players to step away from the game at times if you don't necessarily depend on poker for financial reasons .
Old 11-16-2007, 06:12 PM

Find a cocaine: Omaha/8. God, I suck at it, but I do enjoy it. I can afford to lose 5 to 10 bucks at .25/.50.

I am thinking of Ace on the River. Deep inside, we are all addicted gamblers, and how we deal with that is what makes us succeed or fail. We generally don't think of an addiction as something that is profitable, but that is what it is when you can stare at two cards for ten hours a day without thinking there is something wrong. The problem comes in when we no longer enjoy our addiction. It is important to rekindle our degenerate spirit with something else for a while, because once we allow ourselves to dislike our addiction, we punish ourselves for it: by losing on purpose.

Losing at Omaha/8 makes me feel better. I get to feed the degen without hurting myself. I get to enjoy the game I was once passionate about. The hard part is not over-doing it, ie., chasing my losses.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is important to rekindle our degenerate spirit with something else for a while, because once we allow ourselves to dislike our addiction, we punish ourselves for it: by losing on purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true i just never thought of it. What an excellent point!