Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 PM

Default If you got staked..

If a high stakes player a very nice guy somewhat of a friend to you, decided to stake you 5K for nl200 and you lost it would you feel bad?

I had been a huge winner at nl110/nl200 for a long time well over 200K hands, but I always cashed out and eventually just cashed everything out.
I ran really bad and the 5K that I was staked was at 4500 after going up and down and so on, I deposited 500 of my own money to cover the losses. The staker told me to continue to play so I did.

I had an incredibly disgusting sessions and actually lost about 20BI leaving the stake from 5K to about $1200..

I feel sick and bad and decided to send the $1200 back and end the stake since for some reasons I'm not able to be a winning player at this time.

Granted 5K for this player is a 1BI and he is a winner at his stakes so even though the money is a lot he can recover it 100% no problem.

I feel bad for a few reasons,
1. I really thought I could make money for both of us
2. I let him down
3. I lost 4K of his money

Would any of you feel bad? How should I get over this? I understand it is a stake and if I win he makes money and if I lose then its a risk. If I had the 4K Id deposit it to cover the losses, but the $500 was a stretch for me already.

This isnt another 1 of my leveled threads ;o
Old 08-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: If you got staked..

[x]110NL
Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 PM

of course you feel bad that is human nature if you are a decent person. the question is how important is that money to him. i mean if bill gates is backing you he doesn't give a damn. what is important is that you treat the money as if it was your own and make the best decision you can. if you've become so bothered by the loss that it is causing you to make improper decisions then it is time to pull the plug. if you are playing well (and it can happen and you still lose we've all had those nightmares) then he should be happy to continue to back you until the amount he was willing to invest was down to zero or he shouldn't have invested that much to begin with.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:10 PM

No offense OP,

Just seems that everyone who writes one of these posts "is a winner at 100nl, 200nl, 1000nl etc over 50K, 100K, 200K hands"

Is it possible that you were a winner in the pre UIGEA games, and now are more of a breakeven/losing player?

It happens to the best of them - look at EM2 - guy was crushing 25-50, and now he plays 3-6nl.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM

I am currently staking a friend of mine in "whatever form of poker he wishes" because I believe he makes good poker decisions. The stake has been going on for a year, and of the 10k stake, about 7500 remains. To me, this is just another good investment that didn't turn out as I wish it did. He, however, is more determined than ever turn a profit on this. I am content to continue with the stake, even if he loses it all, because I know he is a good player who makes good decisions.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 PM

If he's down money after a YEAR he's probably not that good a player.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 PM

This might be a dumb question, but what is a common staking deal?

If I want to stake a good friend of mine, who plays better poker than I do and with that he plays higher limits than I do, does a usual staking deal go 50/50? And if he loses he doesn`t have to pay it back?

Sorry for being such a newbie in that case.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[x]110NL

[/ QUOTE ]

[x] First "[x]" that made me laugh today.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:40 PM

i'm new to 2+2, what does "[x]" mean?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 PM

oops 110 lol

It was 50/50

If at the end of the stake 1 month I have 10K he takes 50% of the profit, so $2500 and if there is a loss he takes back whatever is left..

my entire thing is I just think I'm on a bad run but I dont think Id mind so much if it was my own money I guess..

I feel bad for losing this money, do you think this person is going to be upset with me or himself? ( he is a winner at 25/50 ) how do I get over losing 4K of someone elses money?