Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Crazy?
You've gotta be nuts; you don't have a fucking seizure then say 'oh well, whatever' 198 71.74%
Without medical insurance, I play it the same way 44 15.94%
Not what I'd do, but still reasonable enough 17 6.16%
I'd probably do the same but you're still a goddamn lunatic for other unspecified reasons 12 4.35%
Other (Explain) 5 1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: I love my roommate

bob should pay, jim doesnt use the filter

im sure jim = everett and bob = roommate the everett loves ldo
Old 09-05-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See my clarifications. Jim's only chance to bring it up with Bob would be to have called him or left a note, which I think everyone can agree is kind of absurd given that it's a $30 filter, not an expensive TV or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except, it's never nice to find something of yours broken, regardless of value. In a situation like this, if I expect the other person will be home before I am I would leave a note. That's common courtesy. Also, if I am going to be away from home and I think the person is going to want to use the filter that night, I pick one up on the way home.

I then say, "hey, can we find a better storage place for this new filter than the refrigerator door since I tend to snatch it open and have things fall out?"

It's not about right and wrong or who is to blame, it's about being a reasonably thoughtful roommate, which makes things so much easier in a living situation.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 AM

are there really brita filters out there that cost 30 bucks?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clarifications
For those voting Bob, why should he pay for a filter that Jim broke?

For those voting Jim, how could he have prevented this, other than not use his own refrigerator?

[/ QUOTE ]

For those still reading, who in the [censored] cares? It's a [censored] filter and should not lead to a "situation". Someone in your relationship needs to be the big boy, or husband.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:53 AM

The pitcher should pay.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
See my clarifications. Jim's only chance to bring it up with Bob would be to have called him or left a note, which I think everyone can agree is kind of absurd given that it's a $30 filter, not an expensive TV or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except, it's never nice to find something of yours broken, regardless of value. In a situation like this, if I expect the other person will be home before I am I would leave a note. That's common courtesy. Also, if I am going to be away from home and I think the person is going to want to use the filter that night, I pick one up on the way home.

I then say, "hey, can we find a better storage place for this new filter than the refrigerator door since I tend to snatch it open and have things fall out?"

It's not about right and wrong or who is to blame, it's about being a reasonably thoughtful roommate, which makes things so much easier in a living situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Results*

Though I'm sure I blew my already-thin cover with that last post

VR, you're right. I could have left a note, it would have helped. I thought he would be home after me and I'd catch him as he came in, oh well.

Though my posts, in an attempt to be objective, don't really convey the immense steps I've taken to be more than reasonable in the numerous 'events' of this arrangement. I'm considering making a series of mini trip reports. Anyway.

During the conversation I (Jim) said something of the following nature:
"Look, I understand where you're coming from. You leave town, you come home to an empty house and your stuff is broken. All you know is that it was in tact when you left and broken when you came home, so it's absurd that you should have to pay." He nodded. I'm 99.7% certain that this is his exact sentiment.

I continue, "However, you're ignoring the fact that it was left empty in the door, by you, and there was nothing that I could have done to prevent it from falling. What would you have me do differently? Not use my fridge? It's not like I ripped the door open in a drunken stupor. It is your responsibility to take care of your things, and while I'll be careful and mindful of them, I am still going to open my refrigerator door when I'm hungry."

At which point he repeated himself, saying "That's not the point. At the end of the day, YOU broke it. It was fine when I left and I come back and... now it's broken. I just wish you would be a little more considerate of my stuff." If you're at least a slightly smart person, you'll realize how incredibly unintelligent his statement is. I have already refuted everything he just said.

I am out of things to say. At this point I'm literally trembling with rage and frustration. I have no idea what to do with a person like this.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For those still reading, who in the [censored] cares? It's a [censored] filter and should not lead to a "situation". Someone in your relationship needs to be the big boy, or husband.

[/ QUOTE ]

for real.
Closed Thread