Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
We think you're all gay.

True story.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your stupid accents.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
We don't feel we're better than Europeans, we know we're better. It's not even a contest at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

europeans have this thing against america yet follow our trends and we still pwn europe in just about everything there is to pwn. our dollars weekening? of course your currency strengthens if you basically dont make any of it for the last 4 years in order to gain cofidence in your own country. european=doosh
Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
europeans have this thing against america yet follow our trends

[/ QUOTE ]

As a music aficionado, I'd disagree that America always sets the trends.

[ QUOTE ]
and we still pwn europe in just about everything there is to pwn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. Working 30 hrs/week, more vacation time, beautiful and diverse countries, great infrastructure and transportation systems, legal prostitutes and drugs, more in-shape and active populations, and paying less for their defense combined than Americans do, and yet are just as safe and in some places even more free. Just some of the things we don't pwn them in.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
europeans have this thing against america yet follow our trends

[/ QUOTE ]

As a music aficionado, I'd disagree that America always sets the trends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same for sports and fashion (pretty much exactly the opposite for fashion).
Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of all the dumb assumptions he could make about you just because you are an American, to assume you did not vote against G.W. Bush can hardly be the worst. He was actually likely to be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was probably less than 50/50 to be right, given that poker players are going to be more liberal in general and therefore more likely to have voted against Bush. Of course there are worse stereotypes he could have made, but that's a pretty dumb one.

[ QUOTE ]
And part of why you should treat other countries well, is that if people dislike you for your foreign policies they're going to take it out on all Americans, not just the ones who admit to have supported the current president. It's the game-theorietically sensible thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're doing the same thing. What control does he have over how our government treats other countries? Why do you think the Americans in this thread need to be taught this lesson?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[I dunno. Working 30 hrs/week, more vacation time, beautiful and diverse countries, great infrastructure and transportation systems, legal prostitutes and drugs, more in-shape and active populations, and paying less for their defense combined than Americans do, and yet are just as safe and in some places even more free. Just some of the things we don't pwn them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont know how many who work 30 hours a weel, in Norway its usually 35-37,5 hours a week. We do have more vacation, 5 weeks or so. The US is pretty and diverse as well, maybe harder for an American to see it that way though, as Europe becomes more exotic and therefore beutiful. The infrastructure and transportation systems are a direct consequence of the high density of people in Central Europe. Go to Norway (big country few people) and drive on our roads and you will be less than impressed. Prostitution isnt legal in all European countries, just as it isnt in all states in US (Maybe Nevada is the only state that allows it, but that still means it legal in US too). Drugs are not legal in most countries, Holland is the exception. Europeans are healtier and more in shape, but the trend is that we are learning from the Americans in that category as well, I believe Britain isnt that far behind already, and the junk-food lifestyle is definatly getting its followers in Europe to. Europe pays less for the defense, not sure if Europe is as safe against an outside attack as US is though. American defense spending is the reason why European countries dont have to spend so much, because if Europe needs help the US will be there with its big military to help us out.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm From Europe, and I curious how Americans view 'us European' guys.
Do you feel yourself better than us?More modern/less advanced?Europe wealthyer/more poor?Would you ever go to Europe on a holiday?You have different opinions on each country, or do you view us all alike?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that for the most part, Americans view Europeans as being arrogant. The thing that we dislike most about Europeans is that you don't like us.

The thing that annoys me personally is how Europeans dominate international organizations. For example, in the Olympics, if a sport ever has different rules in America and Europe, the European rules are always used (in ice hockey for example). A sport like baseball is removed from the Olympics even though it is played in many countries (but not European countries), while a sport like team handball stays (which I had never even heard of, but is apparently popular in parts of Europe.)
Old 10-22-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
europeans have this thing against america yet follow our trends and we still pwn europe in just about everything there is to pwn

[/ QUOTE ]

Bifocal glasses, the sewing machine, the revolver, power tools, anesthesia, the burglar alarm, oil wells, water towers, roller skates, barbed wire, electric dental drill, THE TELEPHONE, THE LIGHTBULB, the hearing aid, machine guns, electric fans, THE SKYSCRAPER, THE CAMERA, the safety razor, THE AEROPLANE, nylon, defribillator, THE MICROWAVE OVEN, carbon dating, the polio vaccine, the laser, fiber optics, THE CALCULATOR, the space shuttle, THE INTERNET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tes_inventions
Old 10-22-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
europeans have this thing against america yet follow our trends and we still pwn europe in just about everything there is to pwn

[/ QUOTE ]

Bifocal glasses, the sewing machine, the revolver, power tools, anesthesia, the burglar alarm, oil wells, water towers, roller skates, barbed wire, electric dental drill, THE TELEPHONE, THE LIGHTBULB, the hearing aid, machine guns, electric fans, THE SKYSCRAPER, THE CAMERA, the safety razor, THE AEROPLANE, nylon, defribillator, THE MICROWAVE OVEN, carbon dating, the polio vaccine, the laser, fiber optics, THE CALCULATOR, the space shuttle, THE INTERNET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tes_inventions

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot one.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do agree that Europe seems to have a better handle on the work/vacation balance. I guess working long hours seems kind of pointless when you hand over 60% of your paycheck to the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that people in Europe value time with their friends/family/doing stuff they want to do, and also that money is not as highly valued as it is in American culture. Where the hell in Europe are people paying 60% tax?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell would you have a system where the units aren't using fixed, easy to calculate, conversion factors?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because, for most things, those factors don't have nearly the importance to justify the cost of switching. For endeavors where such things are critical, metric is already being used. Who cares whether a highway sign says 100km or 60mi? I'd actually rather the US went metric, but there's no good reason to spend the money on doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so you have pretty much proved his point - that you use an inferior system because of the hassle of switching over.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Americans are [censored] really annoying as tourists in the main. I used to go to France a lot with my parents when I was a kid to go hiking in the mountains and checking out castles, WWII sites etc. I can't remember the amount of times there was a fat, loud American tourist annoying the hell out of everyone. Speaking so everyone within a mile could hear them, making ignorant comments and just being irritating in general. This may be just a select few giving the rest a bad name, but I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that I have noticed about Americans is that we are generally much more uncomfortable trying to speak a foregin language. This may be because we are not surounded by many small countries each with their own language. I think this contributes to the annoying tourist factor.

The rest of is is just cultural differences. Being fat and loud it simply more accepted here than in Europe. Kind of like shorts (for us), or tight pants (for you).
Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 AM

hahaha, only a true american, like jeff foxworthy(pictured), would know anything about the flowbee.