Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: New Pet Peeve

[ QUOTE ]

I made a rare trip to McDonalds for breakfast last Saturday, It was hugely busy, and at least 3 people in front of me in line asked ridiclous questions that cashier clearly wouldn't be able to understand/answer and persisted in repeating themselves multiple times, asking follow-up questions and finding other ways of holding up the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also annoying - parents with kids who wait until they get to the front of the line to ask their kids what they want.

Please, you just stood in line for five minutes. You could have had all this determined already.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 AM

An assignment in my high school spanish class was to do this very thing. We had to go to a restaurant and order in spanish. If I remember correctly I think the prof told us which restaurants to go to and told the stores first.

It was definitely much more embarrassing for me than for the guy taking my order.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
English speaking people do this all the time when they go to France/Italy wherever. The locals usually humour them for a little while and then reply in good English. Nothing new about this atall.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see the difference, right?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:56 AM

maybe he is trying to learn better spanish...the best way to do this is practice. This is a very nitty pet peeve IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 PM

Did you notice if the guy was wearing a still damp expensive watch from his morning swim at the gym?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe he is trying to learn better spanish...the best way to do this is practice. This is a very nitty pet peeve IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be best to practice this in a different context. IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:10 PM

MCGRIDDLES NOMNOMNOMIMO
Old 10-03-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I made a rare trip to McDonalds for breakfast last Saturday, It was hugely busy, and at least 3 people in front of me in line asked ridiclous questions that cashier clearly wouldn't be able to understand/answer and persisted in repeating themselves multiple times, asking follow-up questions and finding other ways of holding up the line.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your major annoyance here ISN'T the fact that the guy behind the counter doesn't speak enough English to answer simple questions or write down a picky order, then there's something wrong with this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

While in principle I agree that having non proficient enlgish speakers is annoying. But it's more annoying when I see people who don't realise that low level service employees are only capeable of (or interested in) performing the simplest of tasks, and that complaining to them is useless and you have to go to management if you have any expectation of getting an answer.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Why have a cell where people can get a hold of you and then ignore it?

[ QUOTE ]
i hate when ppl call my cell phone and i ignore them and they dont leave a message WHY DID YOU CALL THEN [censored] YOU

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-03-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While in principle I agree that having non proficient enlgish speakers is annoying. But it's more annoying when I see people who don't realise that low level service employees are only capeable of (or interested in) performing the simplest of tasks, and that complaining to them is useless and you have to go to management if you have any expectation of getting an answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. and in many cases that non-fluent person is doing a job that some white kid didn't want, or doing it for less money.

anyway, it's not like you can't order your burger without pickles, you just can't ask them about whether the cow was given benzodiazapams to make it feel better before it got butchered. it's not like some dumb high school kid in the same spot is going to give you a great answer anyway, even if it's easier to understand.

i know this sounds crazy to some of you, but you could also try learning to speak spanish, since people in most developed countries around the world are able to speak at LEAST two languages, except for here. the whole idea of 'i live in the USA, i don't need to learn any other language' is lame IMO