Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 AM

Default 1/2 98 hand

live 100/200 game. 4 handed.

i raise utg. button folds. sb calls. you call in the bb with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. i view you as a very aggro player who won't be pushed around. you view me as the same, though you do try to push me around.

flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

sb checks. you bet. i raise. sb folds. you call.

turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

you check and call.

river: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

you check and raise.

how did u play?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Re: 1/2 98 hand

I would check/call the river. Check/raise looks too thin to me.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would check/call the river. Check/raise looks too thin to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

4-handed live; it depends. I think a case could be made depending on what's going on in the game and whether I'm comfortable at the prospect of being 3/bet.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:22 PM

I dislike the river checkraise. Check/call river is ok.

I could even see leading out on the river, may get a call from ace high since the draws missed.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I could even see leading out on the river, may get a call from ace high since the draws missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this idea, but then I figured that CDC is value betting this river with a hand like A5 every time. So thats why I like check/call better than bet/fold or bet/call, becuz most of the hands were trying to seek a call from if we bet will bet our hand for us. Ace high is the one exception, but theres no guarantee he'll call us with ace high either.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM

did you fold A9? lolol

I prefer checking the flop and check/calling the river.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does ace-high bet the turn, though? I think opponent's range consists mainly of hands that have something to show down and hands that think they have to bluff to win the pot Thus, I think it calls for a check-call, with the check intended partly to induce bluffs, and as a bonus he'll sometimes v-bet weaker hands. Once you remove the bluffs from that range, however, I don't think you're a favorite on the money that goes in with a second bet on the river.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does ace-high bet the turn, though? I think opponent's range consists mainly of hands that have something to show down and hands that think they have to bluff to win the pot Thus, I think it calls for a check-call, with the check intended partly to induce bluffs, and as a bonus he'll sometimes v-bet weaker hands. Once you remove the bluffs from that range, however, I don't think you're a favorite on the money that goes in with a second bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it comes down to how often he could play a hand like AQ-AT like this, AND how often he pays off with ace high. Hard to say exactly how big a part of his range ace high makes up without knowing the player.

However, someone described as a 'very aggro' I think would be playing almost any ace this way: Raise flop with his overcards and gutter. Turn: K, bet it like you got it. Check river.

I don't have any problem with check/calling here, just thought leading out has merit too. Against the right player you may even pick off a river bluff raise since it looks like you shouldn't have much here.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 PM

I'd wonder why I donked the flop but didn't 3 bet. I'd just check and call river thinking I'm good a decent amount of the time but you can't call a raise.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Default results

i am indifferent to villain's checkraise here though i suspect it is going to be a losing play because there really aren't that many hands he can get value from, A5, A4, Q5s, 66, 77, 88 mainly i think as opposed to legit hands i could have on this river like bigger pocket pairs, sets, and various kings. given his flop donk i put a lot of weight into a pair for his range, so i wouldn't bet the river with Ace high. given our history together i think his best play would be to bet and hope i call with Ace high (i may or may not) or worse pairs (i definitely would). i would almost never bluff-raise the river vs this guy because he is very adept at making big calls. i'm not sure how much i like it more than check-calling though because it really depends on how much i would fold ace high to a bet (i would almost always bet weaker made hands too).

anyways i had pocket QQ and i really really really wanted to 3-bet the river because i didn't think he'd get so passive that quickly with a pair on the flop especially with an ace-gutter out there but i hadn't really seen him donk draws too much so i put a lot of weight into two pair here, like 95 or 94. so i just called and felt a little girly afterwords.