Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shannon should just take a break for 6 months or a year. Poker gets boring after a while especially if you aren't winning. Taking a break gets your mind off of the disgusting beats and other frustrations.

Honestly though, if I won $1,000,000+ after taxes, I would invest 90% of and live off the interest. That's $50,000+/year to live off of. But I'm just a huge nit without a million in the bank. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are a smart man.

most will never understand what poker's true meaning is. its a game about yourself. who are you on the inside. most people think there is some big secret to unlock and even though i agree that there is a fair amount of knowledge to be learned, the bottom line is if you are weak mentally.

poker will always be profitable for the mentally strong. i cant tell you all how many ive seen come and go or blow up at the moment of truth. the pressure gets to people. no amount of knowing what to do with j9 suited is going to help if you are weak on the inside.

this thread has really pissed me off. i think shannon is a classic case of someone who was spoiled with early success and didnt really have a clue about the big picture..... now its a "stupid" game.

he's absolutely right though. it is a stupid game filled with negativity and ugliness. but if someone is going to start something, then finish it strong. quit when your on top. dont be a pussy and quit when the cruel bitch aint showin love. fight back or shut up and run back to college, your girlfriend or momma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you getting mad at him because he expresses how he feels at the time, exactly how you are doing now?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 PM

I bet if Shannon played 5-10 nl he would never struggle and would make 250k a year but for some reason that kind of money and success doesn't interest a lot of people. And when I say a lot of people I mean people who haven't gotten up to go to work at 6 am and do real work type of stuff.

Poker is about surviving, the name of the game is to stay in the game.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who was it that said, "Son you're still young, so do yourself a favor and dont waste your whole life playing this stupid game...."

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much anyone who has been playing for 5+ years. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 AM

I'm sure Daniel Negraneau is going next, he'll put on his blog how he's bored playing poker and would rather just play golf, the fact of the matter is he suck now and should quit poker too.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I make a decent living playing mtts, it can be pretty tough though. You definitely have to keep working on your game though, I read about poker like 8 hours a day on 2p2, play a ton, and post some and I still feel like I'm not getting better fast enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Luckily for Bakes though, he's just being modest, cause that guy is crushing lately and clearing puts in the work.

I disagree with Anskys post, i think you can make a very comfortable living at MTT's if you're a serious student, a grinder, and can handle the totally absurd variance.

As for those bashing Shannon, i met him just before he blew up in the poker world and 2 years later he seems like the same low key and down to earth guy. I applaud him for the honesty he shows in his blog post. GL dude.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shorr is a classic example of learning through success; I have several friends who went down a similar path and are now broke or close to it. The guy was a breakeven SNG player for a very long time, went nuts in a few MTTs and all of a sudden he views himself as one of the best. A lot of others fit this mold.

A reputable source told me that he would play high stakes chinese poker and overlook straight flush royalties. He may be a nice guy and cool, but he has far too many leaks in his game/lifestyle to be complaining so adamantly. I have no sympathy for a guy who has run better than 99% of us and now thinks the games are unbeatable. Once he joins reality again I predict he'll take a different view.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you arguing hearsay about Shannon's Chinese Poker game, correlate to his actual poker skill?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 AM

Old 11-15-2007, 02:37 AM

agree with you there ansky except the part about menlo. he's above imperium and sctrojans and all the other pocketfives ranked guys. the dude is a [censored] prodigy or something and plays nowhere near the volume all the top ranked pocketfives dudes plays and still owns them all.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shorr is a classic example of learning through success; I have several friends who went down a similar path and are now broke or close to it. The guy was a breakeven SNG player for a very long time, went nuts in a few MTTs and all of a sudden he views himself as one of the best. A lot of others fit this mold.

A reputable source told me that he would play high stakes chinese poker and overlook straight flush royalties. He may be a nice guy and cool, but he has far too many leaks in his game/lifestyle to be complaining so adamantly. I have no sympathy for a guy who has run better than 99% of us and now thinks the games are unbeatable. Once he joins reality again I predict he'll take a different view.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you arguing hearsay about Shannon's Chinese Poker game, correlate to his actual poker skill?

[/ QUOTE ]

If actually true, which I believe it is, then yes. And not just skill, but discipline in life.

Why go off and play high stakes Chinese Poker (when you're obviously -EV in it) when there's plenty of good games available, then complain about how 'poker has changed' when you start to go on a downswing, get lazy, and overspend on other things in life?

He may be a nice guy, but it really grates on me when people who have won quite a few 7-8 figure coinflips in life start going off about how poker is unbeatable when they're just too stupid and lazy to master the game. If you ever see me win a WPT or WSOP event then hear me complain about how bad I run or how poker is unbeatable, then I would expect nothing less than getting flamed.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Engrish only, please.