Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Default WS prices

Interesting that the Rockies went from +120 on Pinnacle before the end of the ALCS to +218 after it. That many people jamming the Red Sox?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: WS prices

I smell a rat. If everyone was really jamming the Rockies, then why such a high price?

LAS VEGAS -- The Boston Red Sox are 2-1 favorites to win the World Series and end the magical run of the Colorado Rockies.

"Colorado is a real Cinderella story," said Jay Kornegay, director of the sports book at the Las Vegas Hilton. "We're just not sure when it's going to strike midnight."

Las Vegas oddsmakers put the Red Sox at minus-$2, meaning every $2 bet will win $1 if Boston wins. Colorado is plus $1.70, meaning every $1 wins $1.70 if the Rockies take the series.

The Rockies have won 21 of 22 and are headed to their first World Series after sweeping Philadelphia and Arizona in the NL playoffs. Boston won three straight against Cleveland in the AL Championship Series to clinch its spot.

"The Red Sox are favored because first of all they've been the best team in baseball all season long," Kornegay said. "They have a league high of 96 wins and they have Josh Beckett going at least two games in this series. He's been pitching exceptionally well in the postseason."

Caesars Palace sports book assistant vice president Chuck Esposito said early betting was heavily on the underdog Rockies.

"The pitching edge clearly goes to the Red Sox, but the momentum and the fact that they've been on this improbable run, is in the Rockies' favor," Esposito said. "If they're able to steal one of the first two games in Boston, they'll be awful tough."
Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: WS prices

Are you sure you saw them at +120? I never even saw WS odds on Pinni before the end of the ALCS, and I check there a lot. On WSEX the Rockies were for the most part around +170 when it looked like Cleveland would win, and higher when it looked like Boston would win. I don't think anyone, anywhere, really thought the Rockies were +120 vs. any American League team they could meet.