Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Playing in BB in 100 NL (50c/$1) 6 handed

Hi all,

I have been playing poker for a while now, but tended to play for fun and also the buzz of winning big hands etc. I realise now that although it's great, long term it's expensive and I become one of those players you love to play against.

I have now started playing a tighter more sensible game, which means that I am starting to see more happy endings and not such massive down swings.

I decided to buy poker tracker to take a look at my hands, I have not got that mnay logged yet (7000) but its clearly obvious I am bleeding badly from the BB. As in I'm actually losing more than the cost of the BB!! Surely with money in every hand at worst I should just lose that money.

I think it's because I fold to most raises, or if I have good cards I just call.

What cards should I be playing from here and should I be re-raising more with trash? Its fairly clear that often in 6 handed games almost always someone will rasie 3.50/4 at some point before the BB.

All help appreciated, incidently I am making money or breaking even at all other stations.

Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Playing in BB in 100 NL (50c/$1) 6 handed

Your going to lose money in the blinds. The key is winning more money while in position, than losing when in the blinds.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly my column Diff w/o blind is red!!!!

Yet I am green or break even at almost all other stations... I know there must be a problem as if I folded all bets I'd break even at Diff w/o blind

So taking into account I ocassionally will hit AA or KK with a BB and also check in with suited connectors and flop a monster I'm doing something badly wrong...

Basically if I changed the stats on this one postion my entire outcome would be masssively diff.....

Or... is it just varience over 7K hands?? I suspect not tho as all other stations are about right..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your going to lose money in the blinds. The key is winning more money while in position, than losing when in the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf, don't open limp from UTG. Don't open limp from anywhere.

For a 23% VPIP aim for 17-18% PFR.

You're putting in far too much money from the SB, playing OOP with marginal hands is bad.

You're too loose from UTG and too tight from the CO and BTN, steal more. The difference in VPIP between UTG and BTN should be very large.

OP,

get PAHUD. Set it up so you can see "att. to steal blinds". If you see somebody with an att. to steal blinds over 30 (>20 is probably good enough tbh) then you should 3 bet when they open from CO or BTN very often. There are a few reasons for this, you probably have the best hand, you're likely to take down a raised pot without even seeing a flop, you'll get more action on your big hands, position becomes less important in 3 bet pots because the size of the pot is large relative to the stacks. (You should also have an att. to steal blinds >30 btw).

It is rarely wrong to fold from the blinds. You're OOP for the rest of the hand, if it's been raised then you'll be facing a likely aggressive opponent who has the lead in the pot. This is the worst situation you can find yourself in. It's very easy for you to make mistakes and easy for your opponent to not make mistakes. You know very little about your opponents hand. He's controlling the betting and deciding when money should go in the pot. You'll lose more when you have the worst hand and make less when you have the best hand.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM

I don't open limp. Doesn't this say I only open limped 2.4% of the time? I cannot recall the last time I did. It was awhile ago. Perhaps in a very very passive game.

Thanks for the other advise. I have won every month this year and 9 out of 10 months, but I am willing to try anything to increase my earnings. I will try being more aggressive in the CO and BTN starting tonight.

I will give your suggestions a shot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this be either a raise or fold like 90% of the hands you play with calling the other 10%?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't open limp. Doesn't this say I only open limped 2.4% of the time? I cannot recall the last time I did. It was awhile ago. Perhaps in a very very passive game.

[/ QUOTE ]

2.4% of the time is 2.4% too much. Maybe it was a long time ago and you've stopped doing it since.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the other advise. I have won every month this year and 9 out of 10 months, but I am willing to try anything to increase my earnings. I will try being more aggressive in the CO and BTN starting tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. Good it sounds like you're fairly consistent so.

[ QUOTE ]
I have PAHUD and have been using it for some time. I will give your suggestions a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That part was directed at the OP to help his blind play but yeah give it a shot.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this be either a raise or fold like 90% of the hands you play with calling the other 10%?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be raise or fold 100% of your hands if it hasn't been raised before you from positions other than the blinds.

If it has been raised before you then call with hands you don't want to 3 bet and don't want to fold. PP, SCs (preferably in position), etc.

From the sb with limpers call with small PP (maybe 66-) and SCs or any hand you don't want to raise or fold.

Basically only if you can't find a good reason to raise or fold should you call.