Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Checkup: River

Live 20-40.

Hijack open-raises. This is his second hand at the table. The hand before, when he posted, he checked his option with 86o, just called the flop and turn with top pair, and just called the river with a one-card flush.

I 3-bet from the SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB folds.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet and he calls.

Turn J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet and he calls.

River J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet and he raises. I 3-bet.

--Mike
Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Checkup: River

Looks ok to me. This is sometimes QT or boat, but I'd expect him to have QJ-JT or something else you beat often enough to make 3-betting this spot profitable.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:40 AM

I keep going back and forth on this one. The lack of a turn raise makes it tempting to narrow his range to {QJ, JT}. However I doubt if he always opens jto and he may very well decide to slowplay AJ, AA, and QT, particularly if you are giving off nervous/weak tells.

I'd probably raise in the heat of the moment but I'm not sure if its good.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM

i like
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM

This guy seems passive. How bad is folding PF?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Not a terribly easy 3-bet, but given read on player i would 3-bet here, i think he would have raised the turn w/ a str8 or set.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy seems passive. How bad is folding PF?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thought. Given how passive he played the previous hand I'm guessing he has a pretty tight open raising range, even in lp, so I would fold pf.

As played I would just call the river, but I think it's close.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 PM

I'd fold pre-flop and probably just call the river. This guys seems pretty passive, so JTs or QJs are about the only hands he could have that are beating us, and I'm not sure that he'd even raise those out of the HJ. We're also in a win 1/lose 2 situation, because if he's ahead he's probably got AJ and will 4-bet every time.

The main argument for 3-betting is that he should have raised the turn with any hand that is beating us, but this guy feels like the kind of goofball that would just call the turn with his 2 pair / set because he wants to make sure the flush/straight doesn't get there before he puts too much money in.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Given the fact that this player is new to the table I would just fold preflop. In order to three bet here you need to have a good read as to how this player plays both preflop and post flop. If his preflop range is pretty wide and he is not always showdown bound, meaning you have post flop fold equity, then three betting can be good since he will miss quite often and you can represent all types of hands.

Using the same reasoning as above, I would just call this river raise. You might be beat but more importantly, I would like to see this guys hand. Is he capable of bluff raising the river? Did he slow play a monster? Can he make a thin value raise?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Why would you 3-bet KJ against a passive player? That looks terrible to me. Pretty big mistake there I think.

Flop is obviously a bet, but the turn is questionable... he can easily have an ace AND he may be passive enough to check it behind you. I don't hate a bet but I think it's close.

River looks pretty clear, JT / QJ look very possible, probably suited in spades given your description.

-Eric