Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 AM

Default Tournament collusion rule: Is this right?

From the "Ask Jack McClelland" column in the latest issue of Card Player:

Q: I witnesses a hand in a tournament in which two players were all in preflop. One player showed pocket aces and the player said, in a disgusted voice "You've got me," and tossed his hand facedown in the center of the table. He then proceeded to walk away, and the dealer called out, "Don't you want to see the board?" The man did not answer, and the dealer proceeded to flip over his cards, which were facedown and near the muck, and finished dealing the hand. The aces held up, but that is not the point. My question is, should the dealer have done what he did?

Jack: No. We turn the hands faceup to avoid collusion, but it is the player's responsibility to expose them. The only reason the dealer should turn them up is if another player asks to see them.

This response seems totally wrong to me in a tournament. Even if no one at the table wants to see the hand, colluding players can influence the equity of players at other tables in the tournament. Who is right here?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Tournament collusion rule: Is this right?

Jack is right for any tournament Jack is directing. What he said is not consistent with the TDA rules, but was correct for a very long time.