Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Heroes Love/Hate Fest 11/5/7

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that how most superhero stories work anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not unless Superman loses his powers at the beginning of every story.

Or not unless the likes of Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and Wonder Wonder are "away on assignment" at the start of every comic so Green Arrow, Aquaman and Hawkman can have something meaningful to do.

However, that's generally not the case. Superman is usually operating at full power. And The Atom still finds something to do even with far more powerful characters in the line-up.

In season 1 it was interesting to watch them weave the storylines and the occasional near misses. However, it's become obvious the writers have no idea what to do except keep artificially hamstringing the most powerful characters.

It would be one thing if one of the uber-heroes got knocked down a peg or two and had to scramble back up or was diverted from the main storyline. But it keeps happening to every single one, over and over again.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone here seems to be saying that this is the biggest problem with the show, but so far the show really hasn't had a problem with dealing with it imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they have.

Hiro is too powerful, so he's lacking in confidence and can't use his powers effectively.

Peter is too powerful so he can't control his powers and is a danger to explode.

Hiro gains confidence and fighting prowess, eliminating the restraints on his powers. So they banish him to an incredibly lame storyline all his own in Japan's past.

Peter learns to use his powers too. So they banish him to a foreign land and take away his memory which also takes away his knowledge of his powers and control thereof.

Sylar is too powerful so they take away his powers and banish him to a hellish Central American storyline with people we'd really, really like to see him kill.

I expect next Parkman will get a bump on the head and be unable to use his powers effectively for half a season.

It's pretty obvious the writers have no idea what to do with these characters if they're fully powered and in close proximity with one another.

Which is pretty much exactly what all of us want...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I'm saying- You guys have been complaining that the characters are too powerful and theres no way to avoid it being a problem, but the writers have avoided the problems by interjecting obstacles into the characters' lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using incredibly stupid plot devices to get around the fact that these characters are way over powered is the problem.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that how most superhero stories work anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not unless Superman loses his powers at the beginning of every story.

Or not unless the likes of Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and Wonder Wonder are "away on assignment" at the start of every comic so Green Arrow, Aquaman and Hawkman can have something meaningful to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Heroes has successfully matched the quality of Superfriends. Go writers!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thats what I'm saying- You guys have been complaining that the characters are too powerful and theres no way to avoid it being a problem, but the writers have avoided the problems by interjecting obstacles into the characters' lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no logical reason for Hiro to choose to arrive three months after he left. They're definitely making excuses.

They actually could have done some cool stuff by keeping Hiro in the present storyline and weaving in scenes from the Japan story, with a reveal at the end that the Japan storyline was a second in modern time. Too bad.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To put it another way, why bother creating characters whose powers are off the charts, if you're just going to keep taking away their powers or shunting them off to subplots away from the main storyline?

Seems really useless. You might as well have just stuck with Captain America and Spider-Man level characters in the first place. At least it would prevent having to contort the plot so awkwardly to prevent the godlike characters from dominating the story.

Obviously this is supposed to be a "realistic" take on super-heroes. And maybe part of the point is that super-teams aren't really workable, as witness by the disintegration of the first generation of heroes and subsequent in-fighting.

However, if that's really the point, then keeping Hiro, Peter and Sylar away from each other and crippled don't make that case at all. It just says "I dunno what to do with these guys 'cuz I don't want to turn this into Dragonball Z or The Authority".

Here's something else...

Why would Bennet relocate his family to a town where he knows there's a hero (flying boy)? Wouldn't he be worried that if The Company ever sent agents to the area to either check up on flying boy or try to recruit him, that they might accidentally stumble upon Bennet and family? What if Company agents come to town and need to send a fax from the Kinkos Bennet is working at?

Seems like a completely unnecessary risk. He'd want a place as far away from any heroes as possible even if just to avoid any chance of heroes attracting unwanted attention.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 AM

He probably can't remember every location of every person he abducted. He was doing it for 17+ years.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM

ZBT,

Yep
Old 11-08-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He probably can't remember every location of every person he abducted. He was doing it for 17+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, or maybe the guy's family moved.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, or maybe the guy's family moved.

[/ QUOTE ]
I forgot to bitch earlier about the fact that flying boy calls him "The Man w/ the Horned Rim Glasses". WTF? He's been reading Heroes fan-fiction or something? Why would he refer to Mr.Bennett in exactly the same way as Mohinder the first time and Nathan after that, and so on? The glasses really aren't that distinctive.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:34 PM

I didn't even know the name of that style until Heroes shoved it down my throat.